Laughing City
golly_sandra
Vintage Newbie

I wouldn't go so far to say it's awful, but I'm not in love with it. He did a good job. I mean, I'm sure we're all used to hearing a female voice singing that song, so it's a little odd that we're hearing otherwise, but I think with time, I'd learn to like it just as much as the original.

Also, when it comes to hearing Max sing, it's a little bit weird to hear him sing in that style (like in Tripping, also). I much prefer to hear him sing like he would in any given Say Anything song than anything else.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Can we just put "Telescope Eyes" right between "Creep" and "Hallelujah" on the list of songs that should never be played again, by anyone, ever?

I actually really like the guitar/piano arrangement, but those vocals... Did he have something stuck up his nose that day? Mind you, I don't listen to Say Anything, so someone tell me if that's how Max sounds all the time.

It's not terribly awful, but it's not an improvement on "Telescope Eyes" either, and therefore I cannot discern a reason for it to exist.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

golly_sandra wrote:

Also, when it comes to hearing Max sing, it's a little bit weird to hear him sing in that style (like in Tripping, also). I much prefer to hear him sing like he would in any given Say Anything song than anything else.
Yeah, that's a big part of the issue. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that in between ...Is a Real Boy and In Defense of the Genre he got voice lessons, and for the most part, I hate the result. I can mostly ignore it if the song is loud enough, but it really shows on the quieter songs. One of the main reasons I originally never gave them (S.A.) the time of day was because I found Max's voice so grating, but once I got into them, his rough vocals were part of the charm, and added to the "punk" edge they seemed to be going for. Now it's just creepy. Laughing Although, to be fair, sometimes it's nice, like with Vexed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdlzATLsQmA
OG voice.
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Ha! I rather liked that! Smile
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i don't think it was as bad as some of you are saying.

at the beginning it sounds like the vocals are distorted - i wonder if that is on the original recording or if they degraded the file in making the video, etc.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
Can we just put "Telescope Eyes" right between "Creep" and "Hallelujah" on the list of songs that should never be played again, by anyone, ever?

You have my support in that effort, especially since Eisley recorded the song 3 times themselves.

P. S.

I might have liked more it if he based his version on the Laughing City version...

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Saellys wrote:
I might have liked more it if he based his version on the Laughing City version...

I'm not a huge fan of the LC version, but the EP2 version is bomb diggity!
olimario
Laughing Citizen

Wow.
Very terrible cover.
Like, "blow my brains out so I can forget this emoshit cover" bad.

If you want a good Eisley cover check out Kiersten Holine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5s1k8zAc0
Dan and Sam
Golly, Poster

Since I can't sing, I don't knock anyone else Wink

Is it great...? .. no....
It's sure not Eisley (but what is?). Sure, it's different, but I enjoyed it for what it is. Smile

olimario
Laughing Citizen

I know quite a few people who aren't professional musicians who could produce a better cover of this song.

You could walk into any high school in America and find somebody who could do a better cover.
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
golly_sandra wrote:

Yeah, that's a big part of the issue. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that in between ...Is a Real Boy and In Defense of the Genre he got voice lessons, and for the most part, I hate the result. I can mostly ignore it if the song is loud enough, but it really shows on the quieter songs. One of the main reasons I originally never gave them (S.A.) the time of day was because I found Max's voice so grating, but once I got into them, his rough vocals were part of the charm, and added to the "punk" edge they seemed to be going for. Now it's just creepy. Laughing Although, to be fair, sometimes it's nice, like with Vexed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdlzATLsQmA
OG voice.

Funny. Vexed came on my shuffle the other day and I was thinking about how it was one of the better songs on that album (along with We Killed it... which is more in his older abrasive style). On a complete tangent, In Defense of the Genre could have been a good album if he just took the best half of it and didn't make it a double disc.

JBaker
Vintage Newbie

olimario wrote:
Wow.
Very terrible cover.
Like, "blow my brains out so I can forget this emoshit cover" bad.

If you want a good Eisley cover check out Kiersten Holine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5s1k8zAc0

While Max definitely should have not done this song, you're not only selling him short, you're also upselling the girl in the link you posted.
She's got a nice little poppy voice, but with absolutely no range. Anybody who can carry a tune and play basic guitar parts (even though she even messed that up) could have produced a similar performance.

Maybe you just like it so much because of the 1920s quality she gives the song? Wink

vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

Laughing
Laughing Citizen

Kiersten has an effortless voice with a great quality. Very pleasing.
Ten Cent Blues isn't exactly a song to show off range, either.

Kiersten Holine cover of 'Girl' by The Beatles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GClhrvtTzw

I'm not selling him short at all. It was really horrible.
His shaky, out-of-control, talk-singing emo voice just wrecked any little thing the song had going for it.

I'm not familiar with SA's music so I don't have any bias for or against the band.
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Yeah... Girl clearly isn't a great example either. It has a narrow range. She was even straining on some of the notes there. She just doesn't have good range. The one point in TCB that she could show off any range she sung down an octave.
She has a nice sounding voice, though.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>