Laughing City
alinicole
Sea Post King

I've been messing around with this song for a while now on the piano and randomly decided to record it today and upload it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpUtWHARt5A

Also, I put it up for download on mediafire if you want to hear the piano by itself only or so that someone could use it for a vocal cover if they ever wanted to (but if anyone does, crediting me would be lovely by linking to my youtube or something!)

Gonna copy&paste a little explanation from the youtube video description:

"I'm playing by ear without having had any lessons - so I know a lot of it is probably not right. it's also pretty hard to hear the piano in a lot of the song, I was just workin' with what I got."

Hope you all like it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Sounds great to me, especially all the fancy fingerwork on the "Oh whoa oh"s. Good job! Smile

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
alinicole
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
Sounds great to me, especially all the fancy fingerwork on the "Oh whoa oh"s. Good job! Smile

Thanks! Glad you like that part since I was kinda just making it up, haha. It's pretty hard to hear any piano during that part of the chorus. Very Happy

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, that's wicked. I especially like the elegant presentation of the vid and the eisley publicity you tacked on. Very well executed on all levels.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
boone
Vintage Newbie

That was great. And you're a graphic design student, right? Wink

You kind of rule.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
juan_diego
Sea Post King

Dude, that was spot on!!! Seriously that was STUNNING! I have been trying to figure out Ambulance since Fire Kite came out and I haven't been able to get it, but you made it look and sound so simple and effortless, yet beautiful and haunting. The way it should be. I also love the fancy part you did for the oh's.

Most of the time when people do covers and they try to get all creative and put their own spin on things it just sounds bad and destroys the original, but what you did blends right in and sounds great when played along with the original track.

How long did it take you to figure it out? I play by ear as well and Ambulance has been giving me such a hard time! I guess it also doesnt help that my piano is going way out of tune. Could I maybe convince you to do an overhead tutorial? Very Happy

sully_51
Golly, Poster

Shocked

Bravo, that is incredible.

alinicole
Sea Post King

wilsmith wrote:
Yeah, that's wicked. I especially like the elegant presentation of the vid and the eisley publicity you tacked on. Very well executed on all levels.

Thanks! It was my first try at using overlays in iMovie '08. I like the effect, I'll probably do stuff like that from now on in any future piano vids. Gotta throw in some eisley advertisement! Wink

boone wrote:

You kind of rule.

Yep, computer graphic arts major. Just finished my first year (foundations year). Looking forward to REALLY getting into graphic design this coming fall semester. Thank ya. Very Happy

juan_diego wrote:
Dude, that was spot on!!! Seriously that was STUNNING! I have been trying to figure out Ambulance since Fire Kite came out and I haven't been able to get it, but you made it look and sound so simple and effortless, yet beautiful and haunting. The way it should be. I also love the fancy part you did for the oh's.

Most of the time when people do covers and they try to get all creative and put their own spin on things it just sounds bad and destroys the original, but what you did blends right in and sounds great when played along with the original track.

How long did it take you to figure it out? I play by ear as well and Ambulance has been giving me such a hard time! I guess it also doesnt help that my piano is going way out of tune. Could I maybe convince you to do an overhead tutorial? Very Happy

Wow thanks!! Don't be fooled - it gave me trouble, too. The fact that it's so hard to hear the piano at times made it really annoying to learn. I'm not really sure how long it took, I learned it in parts. First I learned the beginning of the chorus, then the verses, then the second part of the chorus. This was over a period of a few months and I'd sit down and work out some more whenever I had the chance. As for a tutorial - I can give it a shot if I get the chance. I probably wouldn't put it on youtube, though... maybe just link a download here for whoever wants it. My problem with making tutorials is that I play it *slightly* different each time in some parts. We'll see. Depends on if I can figure out how to explain it! My piano vocabulary is very limited. Razz

sully_51 wrote:
Shocked

Bravo, that is incredible.

Thanks!!! Very Happy

happyface
Sea Post King

Speechless...in the good way,of course!
Joined: 23 Aug 2009 | Posts: 251 | Location: The Gold City, Puerto Rico
Lynn
Golly, Poster

Great sound and lovely look! Really very nicely done! Smile
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Beautiful!! Smile
boone
Vintage Newbie

tragedienne wrote:
boone wrote:

You kind of rule.

Yep, computer graphic arts major. Just finished my first year (foundations year). Looking forward to REALLY getting into graphic design this coming fall semester. Thank ya. Very Happy

It's pretty hard to hide when even a Youtube cover looks like a work of art. I'm digging the composition of the video. Keep up the good work.
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

That was so wonderful! Love the chorus part.. mm mm! and the oh'oh's... wowza.

Thanks for making it d/l too!