Laughing City
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

golly_sandra wrote:
Very informative. Thank ya, sir!

Your welcome. And bare in mind that is 100% speculation and guestimation on my part. The truth of the matter could be a complete 180 degrees from what I infer.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

it would be neat if there was a company who would do super small sized orders - of course, per copy would be a lot higher, but it would just be cool to hear something i recorded on vinyl.

back in the 60's they had these machines like you see photobooths in malls where you could record yourself straight to vinyl. i saw one in a Godard film.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

there was a artist, mabye Mad Lion (Dance hall reggae mid 90's) who had his own vinyl pressing machine he'd bought that was a vintage device from Vinyl's heyday. It was like a waffle iron, kind of. I forget the proper name for it. But anyways, here's more info on the process:

http://musicbizhacks.com/how-to-press-up-a-vinyl-single-and-add-instan t-kudos-to-your-release

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

7″ - 4:30 minutes per side @ 45 rpm; 6:00 minutes per side @ 33 1/3 rpm
10″ - 9:00 minutes per side @ 45rpm; 12:00 minutes per side @ 33 1/3
12″ - 12:00 minutes per side @ 45 rpm; 18:00 minutes per side @ 33 1/3 rpm

i wonder if that is right on the 12" - albums could only be 36 mins? i know some of those Dylan albums (single albums) were longer than that, right?

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

depends on the pressing. you can make the grooves narrower and shallower to get more in the record = longer record, but the quality of the pressing diminishes greatly. I know this from experience. Shallow grooves suck ,record skips being a key result, easy scratching and Low fidelity being others.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i wonder if that is why some records on my player are skipping.

i tried to play a Prince Scandulous EP i bought and it starts skipping - looks scratch free. i think even a brand new Magnetic Fields LP skipped, too, i was beginning to think my almost new player was messed up.

then i broke out the much older The United States of America LP and it played fine.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

That could be the issue. Also, you might adjust your tone arm. There is a balace/ weight that can be adjusted to put more weight on the needle to prevent skipping (depending on your record player). If you don't have that try taping a coin on the top of your stylus.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

This is probably a rinky dink player - I think around $100 that has a USB so you can transfer vinyl to computer.

It has a screw you can adjust, but unfortunately the booklet that came with it doesn't tell with direction does what/how it affects play.

My other old console player probably needs the needle replaced. It will only play one side of the stereo image at times, but if I kinda bump it then it may go into stereo and then back out.

sully_51
Golly, Poster

bigideas wrote:
This is probably a rinky dink player - I think around $100 that has a USB so you can transfer vinyl to computer.

It has a screw you can adjust, but unfortunately the booklet that came with it doesn't tell with direction does what/how it affects play.

My other old console player probably needs the needle replaced. It will only play one side of the stereo image at times, but if I kinda bump it then it may go into stereo and then back out.

Sounds more like a loose speaker wire to me.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

There my be a short in the stylus. where they connect to the tone are there are small contacts that can get corroded or loose. Sound fixable.

As for the USB connect one, is it a Numark???

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

got it through JC Penney - i don't know if it even has a brand - they (whomever made it) have no website last i checked.
megamanda
Sea Post King

why would anyone wanna see their Room Noises CD? its one of the best albums ever!!!!! i mean unless they purposely bought a bazillion copies so that in a few years when its out of print they can sell them for 2,3, or even 4 times it was worth when it first came out!!
johnip
Vintage Newbie

RrrrrrRrRRrrrrrecordddddddddddddddd
Vintage Newbie

megamanda wrote:
why would anyone wanna see their Room Noises CD? its one of the best albums ever!!!!! i mean unless they purposely bought a bazillion copies so that in a few years when its out of print they can sell them for 2,3, or even 4 times it was worth when it first came out!!

It's a vinyl record. There were only a thousand made, hence they're already worth a lot more than when they were first sold.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
megamanda
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
megamanda wrote:

It's a vinyl record. There were only a thousand made, hence they're already worth a lot more than when they were first sold.

aaahhh okay lol Smile thanks