Laughing City
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

On the Combinations DVD you get a really good taste of Sherri's parts, made me take bigger notice of her sometimes subtle contributions. Like her dissonant chords near the beginning of 'Mr Pine,' and on 'Golly Sandra' just a simple alternating two notes with creative timing gives the song some extra pep.
marshking
Sea Post King

grain thrower wrote:
On the Combinations DVD you get a really good taste of Sherri's parts, made me take bigger notice of her sometimes subtle contributions. Like her dissonant chords near the beginning of 'Mr Pine,' and on 'Golly Sandra' just a simple alternating two notes with creative timing gives the song some extra pep.

I noticed that on those performances on the DVD too. I agree with everyone else who've said this: Sherri's guitar parts, when the sound is behaving in venue, really add a magical, shimmering touch.

It's really interesting at their shows to see the differences in sound depending on which side you stand on or which monitor you're in beside. At my last show, I was in front of Sherri but I usually end up in front of Chauntelle.

And on Todd and sound, I simply meant that at the past 3 shows I've been to--where he was there--he's had to adjust the house sound constantly, on and off stage, in fault to the venues' poor sound quality/mixing. Sherri's sound was way off at the Baton Rouge song--she had to switch guitars 3 or 4 times within 2 songs, had to hold her ear-in and "scream" to hear, and ended up just not playing for part of a song during the complications. The whole while Todd was on stage trying to fix the problems. He stays pretty busy while their playing, based only on my experiences.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

so why do you guys think they abandoned the rhodes for a stint of time?

also speaking of the combinations dvd, i found two other videos on youtube of the same dvd quality from that show of the escaping song and i wasn't prepared. why wasn't the rest of the footage released? or are they saving up for a future live album?

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
juan_diego
Sea Post King

The Man In The Moon wrote:

also speaking of the combinations dvd, i found two other videos on youtube of the same dvd quality from that show of the escaping song and i wasn't prepared. why wasn't the rest of the footage released? or are they saving up for a future live album?

I think Boyd said somewhere (a LONG time ago) that the entire show was not on the DVD because of the poor lighting and even worst camera/editing work. Though it's a shame because the mix at that show was PHENOMENAL! They should have at least released the entire show as a live album. I actually ripped the audio from the DVD and have it as an album on my iTunes.

As for the Rhodes, I think Stacy just wanted to let the beast rest. I asked her once if she had checked out the new Rhodes Mark 7's that were released and she said that they were nice and all but that she had a sort of sentimental attatchment to the old vintage models. After the Final Noise tour, which I believe is when the Rhodes was last seen before its glorious return at the Baylor show, her Rhodes took a real hard beating.

Due to how expensive it is to restore those things, or even find parts for them these days I would rather keep it at home than risk having it destroyed.

But, whatever the reason I am SO glad its back in full force and I could care less if we NEVER see that Yamaha ever again. I mean come on, whats not to love about this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Xiea70Q5I

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Two of my favorite songs from the 70's are graced by that beautiful sound of the Rhodes, at least I think that's it, and not something else. Eisley should do them both:

No Quarter

Woodstock (the album version, which I can't find online.)

But yeah, Sherri's part on Marvelous Things are awesome! That's a melodic passage instead of chords, and I love it. And the tone... they know their tone in that band. Love

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

juan_diego wrote:

I think Boyd said somewhere (a LONG time ago) that the entire show was not on the DVD because of the poor lighting and even worst camera/editing work. Though it's a shame because the mix at that show was PHENOMENAL! They should have at least released the entire show as a live album. I actually ripped the audio from the DVD and have it as an album on my iTunes.

As for the Rhodes, I think Stacy just wanted to let the beast rest. I asked her once if she had checked out the new Rhodes Mark 7's that were released and she said that they were nice and all but that she had a sort of sentimental attatchment to the old vintage models. After the Final Noise tour, which I believe is when the Rhodes was last seen before its glorious return at the Baylor show, her Rhodes took a real hard beating.

Due to how expensive it is to restore those things, or even find parts for them these days I would rather keep it at home than risk having it destroyed.

But, whatever the reason I am SO glad its back in full force and I could care less if we NEVER see that Yamaha ever again. I mean come on, whats not to love about this:

the part of the rhodes makes sense.

the post about the footage that boyd made is about the show at the troubadour. actually there's one pro-video of Golly Sandra from that show floating around somewhere i think and i think it's the live version available on itunes too.

juan_diego
Sea Post King

juan_diego wrote:

the part of the rhodes makes sense.

the post about the footage that boyd made is about the show at the troubadour. actually there's one pro-video of Golly Sandra from that show floating around somewhere i think and i think it's the live version available on itunes too.

Yeah you're right, the lighting issues were with the Troubador show. But, I swear I remember someone posted something somewhere (descriptive much?) about the reason for only half of the Ventura show getting on the DVD was jerky camera work and poor editing. In fact I remember them mentioning the the entire thing was shot and edited by college interns.

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

the thing that bothered me the most about that footage was how hazy it seemed to be edited. like the footage was run through the dream effect on imovie or windows movie maker or whatever

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

wow - escaping has 5,000 and Prepared has something like 20 or 30k.

it's a shame escaping didn't make it to an LP.

mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Regardless of the camera work, that show had the best ever audio! Smile
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

bigideas wrote:

wow - escaping has 5,000 and Prepared has something like 20 or 30k.

it's a shame escaping didn't make it to an LP.
+1
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

Kappa962 wrote:
Todd doesn't mix FOH, but he is a great guy to have around at sound check. Since he isn't mixing monitors on this tour he's able to be out front to help tweak everything in better.

Sherri's guitar can get lost in the mix very easily, but we're trying very hard to avoid that on this tour. Sometimes you have very little control, though. Tonight, the mix had no definition at all on the sides of the room, but was harsh in the middle. All you can do is try to find a compromise that makes both locations equally mediocre.

Can't wait for the houston show! Thanks. Smile Mark, it would be interesting to read more of your thoughts about how the sound was at the show each night. Smile

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Oh man, I shouldn't have revisited that - now I find the biggest travesty of all is that We Feel Good was part of that set and didn't make the cut. Somebody near Ventura needs to go breaking into campus vaults to liberate that footage, if just for the audio.

juan_diego
Sea Post King

grain thrower wrote:

the biggest travesty of all is that We Feel Good was part of that set and didn't make the cut.

I haven't been able to get that thought out of my head since the very first time I saw the DVD 3 years ago.

Why and how We Feel Good didn't make it onto Combinations, or at least the Like the Actors EP is beyond me. Sad

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>