Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Woah, good find. It's cool to hear a glimpse(?) of the new songs. It is hard to get a good feel for the songs off those little clips but I'm thinking my favorites will still be Sad and Kind.

ks1990 wrote:
'Watch it Die' sounds amazing and I just know it's gonna be a fan favorite. I wish the preview didn't cut off just as Chauntelle started singing, haha. Laughing

Is it Chauntelle?

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I predict that within one year of The Valley's release, Kind, will appear on a major network's TV show.
ync
Golly, Poster

i think "i wish" is sounding like my most anticipated song, as well as "mr. moon" cause i know that gets a little louder

i really love stacy and sherri going back and forth in "i wish"

You misunderstood. I used that emoticon to show people what they'd look like after I stab them in the eye.

Wink
robotjellyfish
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
I hate Amazon song previews. Whoever thought thirty second snippets could give you a realistic idea of how the song sounds should be smacked, and these are so compressed they're nigh unlistenable. I am rendered about as excited for the album as I was before I clicked the link, because I still have no idea how it's going to sound.

Downerrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Sounds AWESOME! I can't wait. I'm a serial lurker but I had to post my excitement!!!
Starbright
Sea Post King

patrock wrote:
http://www.strangeyellowpatterns.com/news/300-qthe-valleyq-song -clips

I uploaded the clips to SYP. Cool

Thanks! Was having trouble trying to listen to it on Amazon!

norad
Vintage Newbie

Starbright wrote:
patrock wrote:
http://www.strangeyellowpatterns.com/news/300-qthe-valleyq-song -clips

I uploaded the clips to SYP. Cool

Thanks! Was having trouble trying to listen to it on Amazon!

You're welcome!
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

I'm honestly loving all of them so far, but "Please" is definitely standing out the most to me at the moment. I'm really liking "Better Love". "I Wish" is Fleetwood Mac-esque and I love what I've heard so far. Honestly, I'm really liking all of them for different reasons. I think I've started gushing.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
ks1990
Lost at Forum

Nowhere Man wrote:

ks1990 wrote:
'Watch it Die' sounds amazing and I just know it's gonna be a fan favorite. I wish the preview didn't cut off just as Chauntelle started singing, haha. Laughing

Is it Chauntelle?

I think so, she sings the choruses, right? Speaking of Chauntelle, does anyone know if she'll be singing on any other tracks? I think I can hear her on ''Better Love'', but I'm not sure.
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

ks1990 wrote:
Nowhere Man wrote:

ks1990 wrote:

Is it Chauntelle?

I think so, she sings the choruses, right? Speaking of Chauntelle, does anyone know if she'll be singing on any other tracks? I think I can hear her on ''Better Love'', but I'm not sure.

She said that she only does the chorus of "Watch it Die" but she does do a lot of harmonies throughout the album. She's said this a few different places, mostly interviews, I believe.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
Last edited by The_Paronomasial_Mattoid on Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Wow, Happy New Year, indeed!

I'm glad amazon posted these new clips. You can't tell too much from 30 seconds, but from what it sounds like, this album should be awesome for many reasons.

Even with the poor streaming quality, the mix (or production? haha, not too technical) sounds good. Not too compressed (?).

The songs sound like they may be more conventional/accessible, but still interesting. I'm predicting good things for this album.

I can't even pick which ones I like so far because even of the songs we haven't heard yet, I'm also liking them all for different reasons.
Caley
Lost at Forum

The "I Wish" clip literally made me go, "Whoa!" I think I'm most excited for that whole song, but everything sounds really nice and I'm thinking this could be an incredible album!

I cannot wait for them to go out and tour the tail off the Valley!

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Mystic210 wrote:
Even with the poor streaming quality, the mix (or production? haha, not too technical) sounds good. Not too compressed (?)

The empirical data sheds a bit more light on the compression issue.

Below, you can see the db levels in wave form (a quantifiable measure of loudness) of 4 selected songs. The more contours a wave has, the more actual loudness contrast it has. The changes in loudness can be due to the punch of certain sounds (snare drum, cymbals, or even a fake clipping sample like in the Stevens' song). Changes in loudness can also come from a concerted effort to change the dynamic intensity of the sound (such as the build up to "the chord" in A Day in the Life).

Compression works by squashing down the louder parts of a sound mix in an effort to reduce the contrast in loudness. This practice can be useful in evening out poorly balanced mixes, but it can also take the power away from the drums and remove any sense of dynamic contrast a song might have had.

Both Eisley tracks appear to be heavily compressed, with little contrast in loudness except between the chorus and non-chorus sections of Ambulance. This level of compression is useful for radio play in a loud automobile, but not much else IMO.

A Day in the Life represents an older method of mixing albums, closer to what you might hear life. You hear the band go up and down, the presence of Lennon's vocals, the build up to McCartney's section, and the magnificent ark of the final swell of the song.

I chose All For Myself because I wanted to show that as a modern indie artist like Eisley, Sufjan Stevens could still release an album without the extreme levels of commercial compression in 2010. You hear the cracks and bumps stand out throughout the verses and the explosive chorale within the chorus.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:
ks1990 wrote:
Nowhere Man wrote:

ks1990 wrote:

Is it Chauntelle?

She said that she only does the chorus of "Watch it Die" but she does do a lot of harmonies throughout the album. She's said this a few different places, mostly interviews, I believe.

Ah, I see, good.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
I hate Amazon song previews. Whoever thought thirty second snippets could give you a realistic idea of how the song sounds should be smacked, and these are so compressed they're nigh unlistenable. I am rendered about as excited for the album as I was before I clicked the link, because I still have no idea how it's going to sound.

Sounds like you need better speakers Laughing

The managed to include a good chunk of verses and choruses, which says something about how immediate these songs are, I'm not expecting any major Karma Police song structure mutations on these tracks, nothing but sucker punches to the throat.

Time to rock.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Welp, it looks like my question mark on the term I was using is warranted! I didn't mean the contrast in loudness. It was more about the overall sound, the "wet" or "dry" sound. Thank you for the clarification, though.

Either way, as a side note, "All For Myself" is one of my favorites off of the Sufjan album.

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Mystic210 wrote:
Even with the poor streaming quality, the mix (or production? haha, not too technical) sounds good. Not too compressed (?)

The empirical data sheds a bit more light on the compression issue.

Below, you can see the db levels in wave form (a quantifiable measure of loudness) of 4 selected songs. The more contours a wave has, the more actual loudness contrast it has. The changes in loudness can be due to the punch of certain sounds (snare drum, cymbals, or even a fake clipping sample like in the Stevens' song). Changes in loudness can also come from a concerted effort to change the dynamic intensity of the sound (such as the build up to "the chord" in A Day in the Life).

Compression works by squashing down the louder parts of a sound mix in an effort to reduce the contrast in loudness. This practice can be useful in evening out poorly balanced mixes, but it can also take the power away from the drums and remove any sense of dynamic contrast a song might have had.

Both Eisley tracks appear to be heavily compressed, with little contrast in loudness except between the chorus and non-chorus sections of Ambulance. This level of compression is useful for radio play in a loud automobile, but not much else IMO.

A Day in the Life represents an older method of mixing albums, closer to what you might hear life. You hear the band go up and down, the presence of Lennon's vocals, the build up to McCartney's section, and the magnificent ark of the final swell of the song.

I chose All For Myself because I wanted to show that as a modern indie artist like Eisley, Sufjan Stevens could still release an album without the extreme levels of commercial compression in 2010. You hear the cracks and bumps stand out throughout the verses and the explosive chorale within the chorus.
Last edited by Mystic210 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>