Laughing City
kathymunster
Golly, Poster

DRMS_7888 wrote:
The most experimental thing Radiohead has done in the last 10 years was give their album was for free.

hahahahahahah

-Mae West
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

The Man In The Moon wrote:
showing off their bjork and radiohead influences while still maintaining their distinct sound. kinda like The Mainframe and Manbirds.

experimenting with different instruments (that don't fall into the background like strings and the marxophone) and pushing their sound to work in different ways.

Interesting. You just described Combinations, as far as I'm concerned.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

Saellys wrote:
showing off their bjork and radiohead influences while still maintaining their distinct sound. kinda like The Mainframe and Manbirds.

experimenting with different instruments (that don't fall into the background like strings and the marxophone) and pushing their sound to work in different ways.

i don't think so much combinations is their experimental album. i'm thinking experimentation in the electronic realm of music and doing things that are weird, but still pleasing at the same time. i don't think combinations shows off their radiohead or bjork influence very much. however, i am looking forward to some of their heavier songs for this next album.

when i'm thinking experimental, i'm thinking stuff like this http://www.myspace.com/lineardownfall

i don't expect nor want eisley to sound like that, but i'd like them to experiment with music in a way like that.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Saellys wrote:

i don't think so much combinations is their experimental album. i'm thinking experimentation in the electronic realm of music and doing things that are weird, but still pleasing at the same time. i don't think combinations shows off their radiohead or bjork influence very much. however, i am looking forward to some of their heavier songs for this next album.

when i'm thinking experimental, i'm thinking stuff like this http://www.myspace.com/lineardownfall

i don't expect nor want eisley to sound like that, but i'd like them to experiment with music in a way like that.

MKD was kinda experimental, no?
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Confused Yeah, I definitely wouldn't want Eisley to start making music like these guys. It sounds like they threw everything they had into the recordings to hide the fact that they only wrote half a song each time. There's a fine line between experimentation, which involves stretching oneself as a musician, and using random noises as a substitute for your craft.

When it comes to electronic stuff, it seems to me they work a lot with loops and random sounds for their demos, and then when they get ready to perform and record the songs they translate the sounds they want to their real instruments. Experimentation is part of the composing process for them, but I think their idea of their own sound is so strong that they don't need to go nuts with electronics on the finished product.

Of course things change, and maybe someday they'll get tired of guitars and Sherri will start playing a transistor radio while Stacy scratches on a turntable and sings in a made up language.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

Saellys wrote:

When it comes to electronic stuff, it seems to me they work a lot with loops and random sounds for their demos, and then when they get ready to perform and record the songs they translate the sounds they want to their real instruments. Experimentation is part of the composing process for them, but I think their idea of their own sound is so strong that they don't need to go nuts with electronics on the finished product.

true, i just think it'd be cool if they did though

kLafied
Laughing Citizen

Stacy posted on Myspace recently that she has been busy traveling between 3 states a few times each month... maybe she is really putting time into this solo project?
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^sounds like it.

If Eisley does a record that sounds like Medulla, I'm gonna have to renege on my steadfast support.

I think Eisley going Art-Rock is less likely than then doing something that's more Alternative Pop (in the Beck sense of what that is) and that seems to be what gets people excited around here as far as the Demos, from the two I have heard.

Those two songs Christie did for that collaborative project were pretty awesome and maybe closer to what folks would like to hear... the last two tracks on her player at myspace.com/christiedupreemusic (one being a bjork cover)

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9638 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

kLafied wrote:
Stacy posted on Myspace recently that she has been busy traveling between 3 states a few times each month... maybe she is really putting time into this solo project?
she still actively uses myspace? is it a privatized account?
alinicole
Sea Post King

bigideas wrote:
kLafied wrote:
she still actively uses myspace? is it a privatized account?

Methinks she meant facebook:

Stacy (via Facebook) wrote:
Just saying hello to all...I've been way busy traveling to 3 states a few times each month! Thank you for all your sincere messages and wall posts. I hope you have a great christmas!!!

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
^sounds like it.

If Eisley does a record that sounds like Medulla, I'm gonna have to renege on my steadfast support.

I think Eisley going Art-Rock is less likely than then doing something that's more Alternative Pop (in the Beck sense of what that is) and that seems to be what gets people excited around here as far as the Demos, from the two I have heard.

Those two songs Christie did for that collaborative project were pretty awesome and maybe closer to what folks would like to hear... the last two tracks on her player at myspace.com/christiedupreemusic (one being a bjork cover)

Yeah, I have a sneaking suspicion that "A Kiss From Mars" is as experimental as most Eisley listeners would want the band to get. Whoa, zany random noises and an electronic beat! Okay, let's tone it down now. Wink

Smokemonster
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

i just feel like they have the potential to do and explore more musically. play with sound a little bit. we're all in agreement the duprees are very talented folk now aren't we?

--

edit 1

to will: i'm pretty iffy about medulla as well. most people either really like it or hate it.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Laughing you are underestimating the cantankerous nature of this board! Lest we forget what happens when Combinations comes up, Torches get lit, lickety split. AND I STILL LIKE IT MORE Razz

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9638 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:
Laughing you are underestimating the cantankerous nature of this board! Lest we forget what happens when Combinations comes up, Torches get lit, lickety split. AND I STILL LIKE IT MORE Razz

hahaha i never bashed combinations! i just don't see it as an experimental album in anyway. i still like it.

actually i like room noises now more, but if it wasn't for combinations i wouldn't like room noises at all. though, lately, i've been slowly leaning toward combinations again. perhaps the valley will win me completely over =D

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

hahaha i never bashed combinations! i just don't see it as an experimental album in anyway.

I'm just saying, the criteria you gave--"experimenting with different instruments (that don't fall into the background like strings and the marxophone) and pushing their sound to work in different ways"--describes Combinations. Taking it further than that would require Chauntelle to play a sitar onstage or something comparable.

Smokemonster

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>