Laughing City
rockchick1959
Golly, Poster

this is a comment i found on the spin.com page where the album is being streamed.

it's a really interesting and jarring suggestion...
Quote:
Some of these songs are hauntingly beautiful and others are simply obnoxious.
Basically, this band needs to be two bands. With each growing album there is a disconnect between the song writers & more and more it is sounding like an awkward mash between two bands.
I think Sherri and Stacy would be much better off parting ways at this point. It worked when they were younger, but they are two distinctly different styles now. Gritty-throwback-to-2001-wanna-be-pop-punk and indie goodness. I thought they had a lot of promise with their EPs and Room Noises, but honestly The Valley is more of a disappointment than Combinations was.
I think both songwriters could really do something special if they would just accept their differences, go their own way, and really go their own directions full force instead of attempting to patch them together and coming out with subpar poprock with no memorable features.
BTW, Sherri's style isn't something I enjoy myself, but I think a lot of people really would. I think Stacy is seriously going to do something huge in the indie world.

it seems to me that a lot of fans who are searching for that old ethereal sound that Eisley of Room Noises era is known for are finding solace in the songs of Stacy. The idea of Eisley splitting into separate entities is such a terrible one for me to consider but in a way, it makes a little bit of sense. The album can have a kind of disjunct feeling between the songs of Sherri and Stacy.

On one hand, I hope it never happens, but on the other hand it would be interesting to hear the solo work of each. (At least this is half coming true with Stacy's solo album. Can't wait for that.)

http://kimschaefer.bandcamp.com/

http://youtube.com/kimschaefermusic
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Well, some people can only deal aesthetically with things that are homogeneous, predictable, and fit nicely in little preconceived boxes. Let them have their simplified, stultified world.

From what I gather, if they are to be taken at face value and aren't simply being diplomatic, Stacy and Sherri claim to like each others songs and enjoy doing them.

So I'm not sure what the problem is.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

How about music fans start accepting things that are out of box and less homogenized again?

"Homogenized" doesn't have to mean geared toward a mainstream mindset, but it can also mean overly narrowing a viewpoint or style into something that fits a perfect mold every time.

Actually, this is a problem with society in general. Everyone has this almost OCD sense of order, and it's really not healthy for ourselves and especially our creativity.

*Edit: Love that inorbit and I pretty much hit on the same point independently. So happy I'm not alone on this one.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
Last edited by TheAntrider on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Were we typing essentially the same words at the same time?
f-ing scary. Laughing Laughing
Last edited by inorbit on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Ha ha, indeed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I think that person has a serious problem with the concept of dichotomy, and the striking differences between Stacy's and Sherri's styles made The Valley especially beautiful and unique, far from grounds for breaking up the band. They clearly do not have divisive creative differences of any kind and that's readily evident in "I Wish," which they co-wrote. I find it kind of sad that someone is so convinced that two (or more) kinds of music cannot coexist on a single album.

That having been said, I do of course think it's awesome that Stacy's releasing a solo album, and I look forward to seeing if it follows the direction she chose for her songs on The Valley or goes somewhere completely new. Back when her demos leaked ages ago, I remember feeling like she was completely unhindered by format or convention. I don't think she'll let herself be defined by whatever people choose to associate with "indie".

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Right - no grasp of the dialectic whatsoever.
Poor soul.
Last edited by inorbit on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I actually do hope Stacy just goes full on in another direction with her solo stuff, much like Sherri tends to do. Otherwise, why distract from Eisley? Also, I'd love to hear Stacy get way out there ...

olimario
Laughing Citizen

It is a pretty staggering difference and one I think a lot of people have a hard time appreciating.

Tracks like 'Sad' and 'Better Love' are growing on me, but just enough for me to not skip them every time. My girlfriend came to the same conclusion separately. For me it isn't the style change as much as it the drop in quality; merely perceived or actual.

We both love 'Kind', 'Watch it Die', and 'Oxygen Mask' like they are family.

I don't know who wrote what, but I'm absolutely drawn to a certain Eisley sound.
Last edited by olimario on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

As I said in the other thread that pretty much suggested this: just because it's not the same song 10 times in a row, doesn't mean it can't be a cohesive album.

The reason I like Eisley so much that I'm willing to buy the whole album, see them live, support and try to promote them as a band is because they are INTERESTING. This is the first album in a while (including their previous ones!) where I literally don't have to skip any song out of boredom of the album as a whole.

Solo stuff would be great for creativity, but not at the expense of Eisley. And I'm not just saying that for fear of a break-up, but I love their style as a full band (including Chauntelle, Garron, and Weston's musical input).
norad
Vintage Newbie

I think if it was just Sherri or just Stacy it would be too much of the same. I love the different styles the two bring to Eisley. It makes for a unique sound.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

norad wrote:
I think if it was just Sherri or just Stacy it would be too much of the same. I love the different styles the two bring to Eisley. It makes for a unique style.

Amen. Alone, they'd just be two of my favorite performers/bands/whatever, but together they ARE pretty much my favorite band.

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

^ On the Valley, particularly, its in part the wide variety and contrasts that let it stand up so well to heavy repeated listening.

And the contrasts are used artfully; Smarter is not my favorite song on the album, and not one I could see myself deciding to listen to by itself very much, but in the context of the album, it has its place, its role- I enjoy it. And the contrast from Smarter to the opening of Watch it Die is exquisite. Operatic even.

On the mythology surrounding Sheri vs. Stacy's songwriting in reference to classic Eisley, Stacy has been playing around with a very distinctive style since LTA. It works gorgeously, she's been developing it nicely, but it is no throwback to classic Eisley. Ironically (given popular hypotheses) if there is one song on the Valley that evokes the classic Eisley vibe and atmosphere the most, it is Mr. Moon, for sure (yeah- go double check the credits).

Not that they necessarily SHOULD be expected to go round in circles between Blackened Crown/Memories/OTM/HATS clones for the rest of their careers. Artists grow; thats what they do. They remain interesting and relevant by doing new things that nonetheless evidence their unique sensibilities, not by continually cranking out tested product to spec. Are you the same person, exactly, that you were eight years ago, do you only like the same things you did then?
Last edited by inorbit on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Mystic210 wrote:
... just because it's not the same song 10 times in a row, doesn't mean it can't be a cohesive album.

THIS.

inorbit wrote:
^ On the Valley, particularly, its in part the wide variety and contrasts that let it stand up so well to heavy repeated listening.

And THIS. I had the tracklist memorized after one listen, which never happens, because every song sounded completely different to the song before, yet they flowed together so brilliantly.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Saellys wrote:

I had the tracklist memorized after one listen, which never happens, because every song sounded completely different to the song before, yet they flowed together so brilliantly.

Exactly my sense of it.
I enjoy the album best taken as a whole- listened straight through, with no skips and no repeats (over and over again, preferably Very Happy ) Classic case of being greater than the sum of its parts.

It really is organized with an implicit, aesthetic plot- kind of like a really good musical but without all the annoying characters.
Last edited by inorbit on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total