Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
boone
Vintage Newbie

freakinalex wrote:
I feel like pre-orders must count in some fashion. I remember when Soundgarden's greatest hits album came out, it got boosted way up in the charts because it came packaged with the latest Guitar Hero game, so all the copies that Activision bought to include with the game were counted and the album wasn't even officially released yet. So there's got to be some weird quirk that accounts for that kind of thing.

There are lots of interesting quirks like that. Albums you give away count as sales, too. (Also, you don't have to pay the band for it if you didn't make any money.) Double albums count as two sales, also, which is why there are two-disc special editions, electric/acoustic albums, albums with different genre mixes on separate discs, and other such oddities that just happen to come out as an artist's popularity is starting to wane.

Album sales aren't very accurate, really.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

If you can buy it directly from the artist (at a show, or they are selling themselves through the mail or something) that's the one way to know you're money is actually getting into their hands.

On the other hand, putting money in the hands of merchants and distributors increases the likelihood that they order more of the cds to sell, which also helps the band, as was the case with Best Buy last go around.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
MacRVA
Sea Post King

mr pine wrote:
MacRVA wrote:
tungsten wrote:
No love for Apple? Currents was pretty well displayed on the Alternative page for Itunes. And they gave Sucré a lot of love with the commercials and bus ads.

I don't hate Apple. I use a Powerbook and I have an iPod. But I can't upgrade my iTunes past 6.0 because there's a bug in iTunes 7.0 and after that silently goes through your music folders and deletes whole albums at random. I figured it'd be easier to downgrade to iTunes 6 rather than switch to a different music player, as I've not found one that I like as much as iTunes. But this does mean I can't use the iTunes store or have a newer iPod as they requite a later version of iTunes.

have you tried the zune software? It has watch folders so you dont have to manually add songs when you download them off the internet (legally of course) *cough*
and it looks pretty. I hav enever had any problems wtih it.
it is effectively dead and i dont thnk it will get any more updates, but it works and the store still gets all new music and videos

and, on the plus side, if you have a zune and link it up, if you change computers, you just plug your zune in an you can transfer the songs from your zune back to your computer

I don't have a Zune but maybe I'll look into that software.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Did Microsoft have the nerve to mac os compatible version of the Zune software???
Laughing

A lot of that functionality is now built into Windows Media Player (watch folders, using portable players as the external drives they actually are to ull media off of and into your library. It also does a better job of matching hard to find album art and track listings. I just set my itunes media/music as my library folder to watch and my music/amazon folder since that's where i import my music usually.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

ks1990 wrote:
Hmm, I'm guessing it sold around 6 thousand copies.

wilsmith wrote:
I went ahead and downloaded the full chart, there's a link on the bottom

retail sales to date

"Oooooo, so close but I'm afraid you've gone over - however we have some lovely parting gifts for you. Tell 'em, Rod!"

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Very Happy

TheShadowFog
Sea Post King

no. just no.

it's ok but it isn't as good as room noises

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Just so it's understood:

I am not as partial to Room Noises as most for one specific reason:

I had Laughing City and Marvelous things EPs to listen to and since 3 of the strongest tracks existed elsewhere for me (telescope eyes, i wasn't prepared, marvelous things) i judge that album on the remain 9 tracks, always have.

It's hard not to judge the Valley the same way sihce 4 of its 11 tracks circulated via the live Vids during the label lull of Smarter and Kind, and then Fire Kites gave us The Valley and Ambulance well ahead of the album. the Valley felt like a strong enough song that having it out there so early didn't hurt it for me, especially since Ambulance got the early push as a single of sorts with the Magazine promotions etc.

Technically Combinations and Currents are the albums i gotmto experience fresh with minimal time between singles and the actual release. I think that helps their replayability alot for me.

Last edited by wilsmith on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

TheShadowFog wrote:
no. just no.

Laughs.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

TheShadowFog wrote:
no. just no.

i don't know man, room noises and currents are two completely different albums. it's kinda like comparing brand new's daisy to your favorite weapon.

i love room noises nowadays, but it was probably my least favorite album ever when i first heard it in 2008. now being a fan for several years, i wonder if it would've been a more effective album if they were able to add some of their darker songs on there, as are present on following albums. for instance, adding lady of the wood, head against the sky, over the mountains, or some darker song that we've never heard might've given the album some more dynamic. again, i love room noises now, but when i first heard it at the time, i thought it was too upbeat and kiddish. i didn't get into them until i heard combinations, and i decided to check out their old demos. i thought the mosseisley EPs, laughing city, and marvelous things were amazing and more well done than room noises. again though, i love it now and wouldn't change room noises (well... maybe with the exception of brightly wound =P)

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

The Man In The Moon wrote:

it's kinda like comparing brand new's daisy to your favorite weapon.

why would i compare a brand new album with a red rider bb gun with a compass at the end? Wink

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:

why would i compare a brand new album with a red rider bb gun with a compass at the end? Wink

How could a daisy red rider be anyone's favorite weapon? Even if it's brand new it's not very powerful.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

It's been nearly a week and I have no clue where my Currents cd is. I haven't "lost" a cd in ages. Hella lame.

johnip
Vintage Newbie

Heh, mine too! I ripped it to my computer and haven't seen it since... Strange.
Lost at Forum

mr pine wrote:

You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>