50%  [ 1 ]
Midlake is still a band?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

You saw PJ? When?

I got a used copy of the avocado album the other day for $2.
Haven't listened much, but I was really surprised by one kinda poppy acoustic track with double tracked vocals. I had never heard them like that. I have all studio albums now except Binaural.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The tour for Backspacer was when i went. It was around my birthday i think, cause my buddy covered my ticket for me. the Fixer is seriously their catchiest song ever. That it took 18 years before they would release something like that is pretty amazing. Heck it even had a Target advertising campaign to launch it. Needless to say, it was the highlight of the show for me, cause it's actually a happy fast Pearl Jam song.

This new stuff from Midlake sounds like it's got the right energy for a proper rock show. makes me think of the opening track from thatblast Damien Jurado album, which is basically psychedelic folk rock of the european variety thst sounds like it could have been recorded 45 years ago.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Are they the only grunge related band that was huge in the early 90's that never broke up or had major member changes?

Just had this thought - are there any PJ songs with piano or keys of any kind?
I think there may be some organ. Guitar always figures big. The guitarist made a video to show how to play the riff for their new song.

Haven't listened to Backspacer in a while. Never checked out the solo Vedder stuff, or the other band member side projects.

I would like to see PJ live, but not for $80.
I thought they were always against high ticket prices.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

They were against ticketmaster and fees, but that was before they had wives and kids, and the economy went belly up and there was only one concert promoter to deal with that large, and before gas cost more than a buck a gallon, back when people actually bought 10s of millions of albums...

So yeah, you could say they sort of sold out a bit. Brendan O'Brien actually toured with them as Keyboard Player for a while. I just saw/read an interview where he talked about that experience and how he'd gone from an unknown to an it-guy thanks to working with them, and how he balanced that with his family life at the time. There are keys in their stuff, but it's not been super prominent. Vedder's stuff from Into the Wild was worth checking out. I didn't go in for the Ukelele songs on general principle. What I heard was better than I could ever hope for, but to me that was the quintessential vanity project, though I don't see Vedder as being all that vain (which is inaccurate if you trust the story about him happening about a group of dudes in a park in Washington playing a PJ song, and him correcting them on how to play it).

As far as bands from that era sticking together with mostly the same members, of that level of fame, since PJ has gone through like what 4 drummers, it's fair to say that's a band's worth of members in terms of sheer bodies alone. Their last line-up change was bringing in Matt Cameron, which was Binaural forward I think? Before that Jack Irons played on Vitalogy through Yield. I'm pretty sure he was on Vitalogy. Heck that's only 3 records, if you don't count Mirror Ball (which I don't know if he was on actually).

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

After Vedder started writing more and more, I figured there would be at least one song where it's just him and piano, like a last track of an album thing.

Ticket price mentioned earlier was no joke. Just checked Dallas and choose Best Seats Available - $84 with a note *Seats with obstructed view - They were BEHIND the stage! No thank you. I don't know that I would pay that for Pit though, but that would be probably for 95% or more of any band. I haven't been to any shows in the last 1.5 years though, and not many before in the last few years. Just seems too much. If I lived in one of the big cities most artists go to, I'm sure I would go to some though.

I already saw Midlake for free.

But here's hoping both Midlake and Pearl Jam's new albums are great!

I truly root for all artists to do their best and push the craft.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Ditto. I heard a PJ song on the radio and it was the most pure old school punk they've ever sounded and eddie wasn't really recognizable until the 2nd verse, which is funny cause you would expect that from hearing Midlake, but the vocals were pretty much like Tim's but with a slightly higher register.

<< prev | goto page