Laughing City

What is your favorite song off 'Currents'?
Currents
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Blue Fish
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Drink The Water
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Save My Soul
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Millstone
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Real World
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Wicked Child
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Find Me Here
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Lost Enemies
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Night Comes
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Surprised we haven't run this yet - plenty of time has passed to play favorites, what's yours?

This is a tough choice for me because there seems to be a wider variety of song styles to choose from on this album, and the top 5 or 6 each showcase a different strength of Eisley. They are really growing as a band like Jack's beanstalk. On another day I might pick Current's "Oxygen Mask" in "The Real World" because I hum that chorus the most, or the rocking "Save My Soul", or the funky rhythms of "Currents", but right now I will go with the transcendence of "Wicked Child" because of the glorious Jeremy Larson string arrangements, the wonderful Christie-sung bridge, and Sherri's great lyrics + vocal swoops. Such a unique song from them, and for some reason reminds me of this.

There is no wrong answer, that's for sure.

NOTE: Since they only allow 10 items in a poll, I had to drop 2, so I chose 'Wonder English' and 'Shelter.' If you want to vote for either, do it as a write-in post, and I can add it to the list if another song doesn't receive a vote after a few days.

ync
Golly, Poster

i'm torn between blue fish and the night comes - they're probably my most listened to on the album however i wish they weren't as repetative as they are (though they're still beautiful). i wish blue fish just had a little something more but it's still a great song...so i think my vote will go for the night comes - the second half of the song always gets me.

You misunderstood. I used that emoticon to show people what they'd look like after I stab them in the eye.

Wink
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Shelter. But Drink the Water is their best song, imo.
freakinalex
Lost at Forum

I gotta say that Save My Soul is my favorite. It stood out the most for me during my first listen and ever since then, it's been my favorite.

That's probably subject to change in the future though. I still don't know the words to most of the songs.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

ync wrote:
i'm torn between blue fish and the night comes - they're probably my most listened to on the album however i wish they weren't as repetative as they are (though they're still beautiful). i wish blue fish just had a little something more but it's still a great song...so i think my vote will go for the night comes - the second half of the song always gets me.

I will say as far as moody Sherri songs, I second this.

Stacy's songs, if I'm gonna break them up that way are a toss up cause Drink the Water and Shelter are excellent, but for some reason Shelter really clicks as a last song that makes you feel like the album ended too soon, so play it all over again. I have yet to listen to one track on its own. I spin the whole album, largely because the sequencing makes it speed by.

And of course Chauntelle's contribution is wonderful. For some reason Millstone and Shelter seem like they should be paired together in a medley. They bookend the end of the 1st and 2nd half of the album well (even though Real World ends side 1 on the vinyl).

Real World is a good song, it really sounds like it could have been on the Valley, maybe in place of Smarter (but similarly placed mid-album)?

I'd have to say overall Blue Fish impressed me the most of all the songs, but oddly enough Currents really gets me going, it works so well as a first song, cause it's got energy, but it's not overwhelming. When the first and last song work so well in those roles but are nothing alike, that's a great thing, it keeps the repeated listening fresh.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

i don't know. i relistened to the album today and realized how much i like all of it now. the only thing that kinda bothers me still is i think Real World goes on too long and maybe Wonder English should've been replaced, but my mind might be changing on it. this is definitely an album that grows on you over time, whereas i think the valley and combinations get tired faster.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

^No, Wonder English is one of my favorites along with Wicked Child, The Night Comes, Real World, Blue Fish etc haha. I voted for Drink the Water though.
Here's how I would rank them roughly at the moment:
1. Drink the Water
2. Wicked Child
3. Wonder English
4. Blue Fish
4. The Night Comes
4. Real World
5. Lost Enemies
5. Currents
6. Millstone
7. Save My Soul
8. Find Me Here
9. Shelter

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

This has got me thinking, or at least primed for sharing more thoughts on this album:

The vocal melody in the verses of Save My Soul remind me of Vida La Vida a little bit. Don't tell Joe Satriani though. The bridge on that one is their "Fix You" moment, where the harmonies elevate the vocals above the other really good vocalists with pretty arrangements, to greatness, pure greatness.

Find Me Here is maybe the one song of all the songs that seems a little lost in the shuffle, like it belongs to a different time period for the band. It fits the Air/ Wind elemental theme @spacecitymarc ascribed to Room Noises, with Combinations being Earth, The Valley being Fire, and Currents being Water in his Boston Globe review http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2013/05/26/review-eisley-current s/gWzOcJ2Ycd0gwjWrrmcC7K/story.html

I don't know if that was his own idea, or a scoop he got from the band. In retrospect I wouldn't put it past them to have quietly targeted those themes tonally all along with art direction, and subtle musical nods. And of course elements can express their attributes in degrees of intensity, like the air being breezy (Trolleywood) or turbulent (Marvelous Things). Or not.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Last edited by wilsmith on Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
tungsten
Sea Post King

I'd have to go with Drink the Water for my favorite.
2nd place would be Lost Enemies, third would be Blue Fish.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:

Find Me Here is maybe the one song of all the songs that seems a little lost in the shuffle, like it belongs to a different time period for the band. It fits the Air/ Wind elemental theme @spacecitymark ascribed to Room Noises, with Combinations being Earth, The Valley being Fire, and Currents being Water in his Boston Globe review http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2013/05/26/review-eisley-current s/gWzOcJ2Ycd0gwjWrrmcC7K/story.html

i never thought of the albums that way and i like that.

find me here is still probably one of my top favorite songs off the album. i don't know, i want to say that's the one, but then the nigh comes, shelter, blue fish, and drink the water call out. i love wicked child, but i like the live acoustic version they did a little more.

on a side note though, i feel find me here lyrically fits the water theme more and that lyrically wicked child fits the room noises air/wind vibe more.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I'm thinking strictly sonically, with no thought of the lyrics. Musically, it sounds like a sunny day near a babbling brook in the spring. I can almost literally hear birds chirping in the distance and all that jazz. That light quality, that breezy playfulness, is almost Disney-esque, something that fits middle period WB era Eisley in my head.

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
I have yet to listen to one track on its own. I spin the whole album, largely because the sequencing makes it speed by.

I've played single songs, but only done a random play once or twice compared to playing straight through the other umpteen times - it really does sound best that way! The sequencing is really strong and expertly chosen....EXCEPT Wonder English just doesn't fit after the similar & better Find Me Here. I'm always for more more more songs on Eisley's albums, but I think this is the one instance where trimming would've been beneficial.

The Man In The Moon wrote:
i don't know. i relistened to the album today and realized how much i like all of it now. the only thing that kinda bothers me still is i think Real World goes on too long and maybe Wonder English should've been replaced, but my mind might be changing on it. this is definitely an album that grows on you over time, whereas i think the valley and combinations get tired faster.

When I heard The Valley the first time it already felt like an old friend, but it took 3-4 spins of 'Currents' to really find all the magic hiding within. I agree that it takes some "growing time" first.

But there is NOTHING wrong with Real World! Razz Wink

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:

Find Me Here is maybe the one song of all the songs that seems a little lost in the shuffle, like it belongs to a different time period for the band. It fits the Air/ Wind elemental theme @spacecitymark ascribed to Room Noises, with Combinations being Earth, The Valley being Fire, and Currents being Water in his Boston Globe review http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2013/05/26/review-eisley-current s/gWzOcJ2Ycd0gwjWrrmcC7K/story.html

I don't know if that was his own idea, or a scoop he got from the band. In retrospect I wouldn't put it past them to have quietly targeted those themes tonally all along with art direction, and subtle musical nods. And of course elements can express their attributes in degrees of intensity, like the air being breezy (Trolleywood) or turbulent (Marvelous Things). Or not.

Are you sure that's the link? I don't find anything about the other albums representing separate elements but it's a helluva interesting theory! I can definitely see The Valley as Fire, but RN & Combo would be flipped. Room Noises extolling wonders of the Earth (Memories, Marvelous Things, Brightly Wound, Trolley Wood) and Combinations with more ethereal musings (Many Funerals, Invasion, A Sight To Behold). The brown earth tones of the RN art and sunny yellow Combo sleeve with the girls in angelic dresses follows that thinking. Either way I would bet dollars to donuts that Eisley never consciously drew up such a long-range concept but fun to think about. Smile

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

He tweeted the analogy immeditely after tweeting a link to his review with a sigh. My phone will only display tweets of his back to june tenth. But searching his tweet of review from May 27th. If a conventional browser let's you go further back you're in business. I mispelled his handle though, it's @spacecitymarc

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Found it.

@spacecitymarc wrote:
[The Eisley discography in brief, for those who care.] "Room Noises": air. "Combinations": earth. "The Valley": fire. "Currents": water.

Subject for new poll: which element fits RN & Combo, earth or air? Smile