Laughing City

What is your favorite song off 'Currents'?
Currents
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Blue Fish
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Drink The Water
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Save My Soul
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Millstone
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Real World
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Wicked Child
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Find Me Here
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Lost Enemies
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Night Comes
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

tungsten
Sea Post King

Although Currents has grown on me a lot, I still believe The Valley is a better album overall. Ambulance, I Wish, and Mr. Moon (all second half) help it feel fuller to me than the second of half of Currents (Find Me Here, Wonder English, and The Night Comes still aren't doing a whole lot for me). I know a lot of people are loving those tracks though, so it could just be me. It seemed like the Valley felt more like a unified work whereas Currents almost feels like two different records to me (1st half = water theme, 2nd half = attempt to make old Eisley new again). The attempt was mostly successful, Lost Enemies is one of my favorite tracks.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Great Points.

I would say that both albums seem Vinyl minded, with the sides being able to stand on their own apart from each other. I agree the Valley B-Side songs have some stellar gems. I didn't really care for Please though, and I Wish never clicked with me because it sounded like a Bloodsuckers by David Garza, and that song is just untouchable in my book.

On the flipside, Current's A-Side is outstanding, though oddly the two songs I care for the least are two that others love a lot:

Save My Soul
Real World

With Save My Soul I dug it more initially, with it's unique arrangement, but the more I recognized the Bridge's brilliance, the less enamored I became with the rest of the song.

Real World is a good song, and I would easily take it over the two poppier Valley A-Sides (Watch it Die, Oxygen Mask).

Between those two albums though, are SO MANY Great songs of varying styles, that I think it really is a shame people are generally ignorant of their work.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

grain thrower wrote:
Found it.

@spacecitymarc wrote:
[The Eisley discography in brief, for those who care.] "Room Noises": air. "Combinations": earth. "The Valley": fire. "Currents": water.

Subject for new poll: which element fits RN & Combo, earth or air? Smile

Double posting cause this deserves its own response:

I think his analogy works in a way that might not be the first reaction:

Eisley discography as it relates to their careers and lives at the time:

Air = Sky's the Limit, nowhere to go but up = Room Noises

Earth = Being Humble and having life lessons and growing experiences, making one's perspective more grounded and down to earth = Combinations

Fire = Heavy conflict, tumultuous times, stark dramatic changes that leave a new landscape, to start over= The Valley

Water = embracing change, going with the flow, feeding life and developments. Cooling, calming times being closer to the most important things to sustain you = Currents

And Deep Space is what it is Wink , albeit Lights Out encompasses all of those as a song given it's theme and relevance to their lives at its genesis. I still LOVE that song, as it feels like once of Eisley's anthems right next to Treetops, Better Love, and The Valley.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
tungsten
Sea Post King

See, further proof that beauty is in the eye and ear of the beholder. I would definitely have picked Watch it Die and Oxygen Mask over Real World any day (although I do love Real World). Also, I thought I Wish was probably the best song on the Valley (that and Ambulance). I'll have to look up that song you mentioned, haven't heard it. Having trouble thinking anything else sounds like Eisley.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The intro to a verse

http://www.rhapsody.com/artist/david-garza/album/overdub/track/bloodsu ckers

longer preview on itunes, full verse but cuts off right at the chorus... bummer

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/overdub/id300206509

and wouldn't you know it, amazon preview has the chorus

http://www.amazon.com/Bloodsuckers-LP-Version/dp/B001OAUHTO/ref=sr_1_1  ?ie=UTF8&qid=1376700947&sr=8-1&keywords=david+garza+bloodsuckers

WB owns it so finding it streaming anywhere is a rarity. Once you hear the guitar part it should hit you though. The song is gorgeous and the sentiment is closer to my heart than I'd fess up to on my own. But when you set it to such a lovely arrangement... en vino veritas?

tungsten
Sea Post King

I do hear a similarity!! It's like you could sing I Wish over the guitar arrangement. That being said, I still think I Wish is the best song on the Valley.

I like that song now btw, haha thanks!
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, it's not that I don't enjoy I Wish, it's that I'd already had a crazy 10 year love affair with Bloodsuckers, and I Wish reminds me of her, but minus all those edgy qualities that come with being young, recently spurned, and jaded.

Oddly enough, 10 years after Bloodsuckers, Better Love always struck me as the Antidote to the very sentiment Bloodsuckers inspired.

As far as the Valley though, man, I can't say there is a best song, but I really do feel that The Valley (Fire Kites version), Better Love, Kind, and Mr. Moon, and Ambulance (Fire Kites version) are some of their best songs in each of those particular styles. The fact that none of them are in the same style says a lot about their song craft.

A list/ playlist of of the best Eisley songs of a particular style would be a fun challenge.

tungsten
Sea Post King

Both the Valley and Kind always grabbed me more live than on the record. One of my favorite Eisley moments was at the El Rey in Hollywood, the sound went out about half way through the song, and then when they got the sound back on everybody yelled "JUST START OVER!!" Good times.

I would compare Kind to Just Like we Do, or Persuasion or Light Up from Sucré. Simple Stacy love songs. I guess Shelter might fit in that vein too, although it's elegant style almost makes me think more of Chemical Reaction or Hiding Out or something like that.