Laughing City
boone
Vintage Newbie

Has anyone posted anything about the Rolling Stone review of Room Noises yet? I hear it's not good.

From the magazine that called Pinkerton the worst album of '96. Brilliant.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

It's not on their website yet.

My respect for RS keeps dropping with each successive issue and bad review. Is it just cool to hate everything that's unique and interesting? Also, when was the last time they had an actual musician on their cover? Every time I look now it's some movie star or Britney Spears.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pzy
Wookie Luke

Saellys wrote:

My respect for RS keeps dropping with each successive issue and bad review. Is it just cool to hate everything that's unique and interesting? Also, when was the last time they had an actual musician on their cover? Every time I look now it's some movie star or Britney Spears.

Agreed. Rolling Stone has no clout anymore.

ryan fisher
Vintage Newbie

i'm not sure what's more pathetic- the fact that there are still people who think that rolling stone is relevant, or the fact that rolling stone thinks that rolling stone is relevant
boone
Vintage Newbie

Maybe people like it because it's tabloid sized and bigger magazines are always better. Just like tabloids.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

It hasn't been relevant since the '70s. I've been trying to give it chances since I was 13, and it's failed me every time. I think i've agreed with like 3 reviews in that span, too. Watch Eisley get huge and then — suddenly — BAM! They love them! "What do you mean 'unicorn barbie'? That was some crazy freelancer! We love you guys. Be on our cover ... please?"

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ecouter
Vintage Newbie

pzykotic wrote:
Saellys wrote:

Agreed. Rolling Stone has no clout anymore.

As the queen of clout, I can definitely confirm that.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i just looked in the johnny depp cover at the library and didn't see a review.
WeAreTheEggmen
Sea Post King

Take for example what happened to Led Zeppelin... Rolling Stone h-a-t-e-d them, gave them terrible reviews. But now, when RS does those "classic albums reviewed".. of course, they give every Zeppelin album 5 stars.

RS just attempts to be controversial in order to be cutting edge.. but for crying out loud, they put each Ruben Studdard and Clay Aiken on their cover..would you trust them? I wouldn't.
Joined: 21 Dec 2002 | Posts: 116 | Location: lawrence, kansas | dallas, texas
EisleyForever
Vintage Newbie

boone wrote:
Has anyone posted anything about the Rolling Stone review of Room Noises yet? I hear it's not good.

From the magazine that called Pinkerton the worst album of '96. Brilliant.

... and has since put a few Pinkerton songs on some of their Top 100 songs list. Smile Rolling Eyes

I think they just go with what they think the mainstream crowd's going to want them to say sometimes. Just like that damned Philip Wuntch ... first he hates some movie, then it gets nominated for a Best Picture, and he actually changed his review of it. Plus, he's just ... NOT. COOL.

"Geico auto insurance is so easy to use, a caveman could do it!"

(Camera turns around, the caveman boom operator throws microphone stand to the ground, points at the commercial announcer guy)

NOT. COOL.

(runs off the set)

standingcareful
Golly, Poster

most of the bafoons that read RS probably wouldn't have purchased "Room Noises" any ways. I don't think it hurt the band that much.

And also bear in mind that this is the same publication that gave ACDC's new album 4stars, but gave the Coldplay Live CD 2stars.

haha. that's amazing.

Last edited by standingcareful on Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Paranoid Android v2.0
Vintage Newbie

I hear that Rolling Stone stays crunchy in milk. Thats the only reason I would buy it. For breakfast.

This is MYSPACE
Gee, Blog
Joined: 29 Oct 2003 | Posts: 4250 | Location: Up here in Connecticut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ComePartMental
Sea Post King

Mags like Rolling Stone and Spin have always annoyed me. I don't remember who said it but someone once described Rolling Stone as "Playboy for the cocaine generation".

livejournal\\

//deviantart
Joined: 11 Sep 2004 | Posts: 99 | Location: Bridgewater, Ma
babysweetwolf
Sea Post King

they call it that because the reviewers get
all cocained up before they write the reviews.

ZooeyGlass
Lost at Forum

EisleyForever wrote:

I think they just go with what they think the mainstream crowd's going to want them to say sometimes. Just like that damned Philip Wuntch ... first he hates some movie, then it gets nominated for a Best Picture, and he actually changed his review of it. Plus, he's just ... NOT. COOL.

I don't like Wuntch... He bothers me...

So does Rolling Stone...

goto page
 | next >>