Laughing City

Coldplay is
the most freaking awesome band in the world.
34%
 34%  [ 13 ]
crouched nervously at the feet of eisley, where all other bands belong
63%
 63%  [ 24 ]
a sucky british chick-band with facial hair
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 38

hakeber
Sea Post King

I bought X&Y and it is a pretty good CD. It's no Parachutes but it's still quality coldplay.

...the wheels started turning when I listened to "speed of sound"..

Chris Martin belts "birds keep flyin' at the speed of sound to show you how it all began".. and I immediately want to counter with "you look so beautiful it hurts me slightly".. you know, Golly Sandra. The melody of coldplay's chorus and eisley's bridge seems suspiciously close...

Did Coldplay subconsciously absorb elements of Eisley? I have my theories... Well, maybe just the one.

"White Shadows" begins "when I was a young boy.." and my mind drifts to the Treetops...

heh heh. I hope I didn't just cause a whole lot of trouble.

fakeplastic
Sea Post King

i wouldn't say the best band in the world..
but compared to my other two options.

the connections you made are possible,
but i doubt it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cgar7
Vintage Newbie

hmm ....your right it kinda does fit

Here's the game of grand mistakes while floating with a fan above a nothing.The crowd is ready sides are steady you are clutching my hand, it is hurting
-Samara-
Vintage Newbie

dunno..
but i do know coldplay s not the best band..a good one.
but not the best.

Super_Dave
Golly, Poster

cold play rox. But I don't think they show bow down to Eisley. They've been rockin' longer then they have.

"Speak when you are angry - and you'll make the best speech you'll ever regret"

www.purevolume.com/247
Joined: 18 Oct 2004 | Posts: 618 | Location: San Antonio, TX
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Admiral79
Lost at Forum

I'm sure any similarities are coincidental in nature. And for the record, Coldplay is tied for best band.
ali
since 1979

I actually had this conversation with my gf a little while ago, when we were first listening to X&Y. Forgot about that, but it's kinda funny.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

hakeber wrote:

"White Shadows" begins "when I was a young boy.." and my mind drifts to the Treetops...

Yeah that's what I thought. And if my memory serves me right Jon has a song that uses the same line. Wink

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

Coldplay is so totally crouching at the feet of the greatness that is Eisley's music. Just like a lot of other bands are.

I agree that the similarities are coincidental. Probably his subconcious working in creating the melodies. That does happen. I don't yet have X&Y but I do want to get it. I have the other two albums and even though this one, judging by various reviews, fails to impress, I still like Speed of Sound. Even with all the similarities to Clocks.

Grantticus
Golly, Poster

that is a connection if ever i heard one.
chris flynn
Sea Post King

Coldplay is a great band.. but for me, ---- far too much "navel-gazing"....

Meaning : lyrical content is all about contemplating their navel. just a tad to much introspection. and I do likethat in some bands, it's all in how you do it.. the emo thing...

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

The boys of Coldplay have been the first to admit when they stole lyrics for X & Y. They themselves have touted their plagiaristic skill with a gusto usually reserved for when one is actually original. They very likely did steal the line "When I was a young boy," since Chris Martin used to sing "Tree Tops" during soundcheck when Eisley was touring with Coldplay. And as for the melody similarities, that might be more subconscious, but it's definitely noticeable. There should be a mashup.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jaytee
Sea Post King

all i have to say:

"fix you" has brought me to my knees in tears.
it says everything i've been trying to say.

confused? read xanga.