Laughing City
ZenArtist
Golly, Poster

Saellys wrote:
ZenArtist wrote:
well with the exception of the possibility of being blown apart in a war, they do give you a pretty stable paycheck or so i hear, if you serve enough they'll pay for your retirement, and they'll pay for your education.

*not an expert on the army.

All branches of the military do that, but "the possibility of being blown apart in a war" kind of outweighs the benefits.

arent' there tons of non fighting positions in the army where your chances of being blown apart are similar to civilians?
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

ZenArtist wrote:
Saellys wrote:
ZenArtist wrote:
well with the exception of the possibility of being blown apart in a war, they do give you a pretty stable paycheck or so i hear, if you serve enough they'll pay for your retirement, and they'll pay for your education.

All branches of the military do that, but "the possibility of being blown apart in a war" kind of outweighs the benefits.

arent' there tons of non fighting positions in the army where your chances of being blown apart are similar to civilians?

That's what they want you to think.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
ZenArtist
Golly, Poster

lol to pantheon.

mikep0922 wrote:
ZenArtist wrote:
the music business is more like a free for all for hustlers to my understanding.
And that's one of the biggest reasons I LOVE Eisley and the DuPrees. They are the very antithesis of that!

by hustler i meant savvy business people..boyd seems pretty good at hustling his web design business. he's obviously very good at it too.

i think there's more hustler's in the duprees than you'd think. a small town family doesn't end up on some big label without hustle.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

ZenArtist wrote:
Saellys wrote:
ZenArtist wrote:

I'm sure there are plenty, but there is no guarantee that someone will get to keep that position. My fiancé was in the Navy for five years and got out last August without having to see combat once. Now everyone he knows that's still active duty--even people that were working in offices and classrooms--has been sent to Iraq for one-year tours.

Basically, the point I was trying to make is that it's incredibly foolish to compare the military to the music industry on the basis of a regular paycheck. The Big 3 aren't sending their A&R people to Baghdad and touring bands don't have to face ambushes on the road. I'll take abject poverty over the possibility of death any day, thanks.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
woman4life
Golly, Poster

StuartBuck wrote:
On that point:

A few years back, I was chatting with a guy who happened to be a producer in Nashville (my sister in Nashville was friends with him). He said that it's amazing how many people will say that they are a singer, but if you say, "Hey, can you sing something right here," they'll immediately start coughing and pretending that they're sick and they'll just say, "Oh, not right now, but here's my demo CD, listen to that."

And since the rise of YouTube, I've gotten to hear how a lot of bands sound live. The ratio of bands that sound good live to those that sound good in the studio is depressingly low.

I wouldn't go by YouTube videos unless they are good quality or off the sound boards, because I've heard bands at a concert that sounded pretty good and on YouTube at the same show the video sounded bad. Sometimes the camera videos near the speakers distort the sound. But there are a lot of singers that sound much better recorded, but a good number that sound good live as well. With all the illnesses on tour, there are also more than a few that sound great at some shows and not so great at others.

Oh, about the military comparison, rather a weird comparison, other than the fact that you have to leave family/friends for long periods of time with both quite often. As for death, driving without much sleep for days, sleeping in vans - very real possibility for touring bands. I've seen too many deaths/accidents with bands this year. Probably one of the number one killers here are probably auto accidents. Would be interesting to see a comparison between number of people killed in Iraq vs. automobiles (especially when you exclude auto accidents in Iraq.) Not saying there is a comparison as Iraq would exact a pretty high mental toll, I'm sure. Just think it would be interesting. And wow, is this getting far afield of the original topic. LOL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

Oh right, I should have made that clear. I was referring to YouTube videos where the sound quality is just fine, but the singer is off-pitch, or can't really hit the high notes, or is just struggling.