Laughing City
PlentyOfCaskets
Sea Post King

Just got back from the 9:30 Club show in DC. It was a great night overall but I'll go into more detail, mainly because I am delaying going to sleep. So here goes...

The Envy Corps-
I've never seen them before but I liked them. That song Story Problems is so freakin good, maybe the best song of the night besides ALL of Eisley's (of course). The rest of their set was ok. I admit I could do nothing but watch the drummers hair dancing around as he played. Very interesting guy to look at haha. In fact, I don't think I've ever wanted to look like someone more than that guy (besides Brad Pitt). Yea the rest of the set was ok. Good, but not great? I hope that doesn't sound harsh.

Vedera-
Lead singer Kristen is a total babe. Crazy voice. I wish she was in Eisley. Their drummer was awesome. Very solid. I wish the guitarist would have done some more...I think they have real potential and are very marketable.(NOTE:*****MY OPINION MEANS NOTHING*****). The songs were beautiful but could have used some spice....I dunno. Kristen's voice made everything better though.

The Myriad-
I was very surprised by them. They're good! I was skeptical with the iron pressed hair and fancy get-ups but those guys can rock! Muse-ish sound but definitely unique. I WILL buy that album. I think they could be big (er?). Lead singer has a good voice and everyone else was very good. I think they play to a click track? which made the set very tight..which is good and bad. Check em out. Seem like nice guys too.

...Text Drum Roll...

Eisley-
Dang. They were awesome! The whole set was good. Loved the song choices (I was left only wanting to hear Head Against the Sky, oh well). One thing that I really like about them is seeing them mess up. There's something about seeing professional musicians mess up on stage that really brings the experience down to earth and reminds me that they're just as human as I am. Much more attractive, but still human. I was really impressed by everyones playing too. I LOVED when they started Sun Feet? I think it was? over again because Sherri's mic stand wouldn't stand up. She hollered over to the tech dude who hollered right back at her to stop spinning the stand around (very true AND very funny). Sherri was really into the songs tonight and it was cool seeing her pour her tiny little heart into them. Chauntelle kicked butt on guitar. Stacy's voice is my favorite. (I like the standing up better) Sherri is Sherri. Garron was his usual completely stone faced (The musicman bass doesn't sound good. Stick with the Fender and the Epiphone). Have some fun dude haha!! Weston held down everything as usual AND did it with a bow tie. Not too shabby. Boyd ran around like a man possessed. (Apparently not possessed enough to update trolleywood, but we all understand...i think)

There was a really good crowd, surprisingly. I checked the ticket sales a few days ago and it wasn't looking to hot but tonight people came out. I hope that means they'll come back around. Or to Baltimore (preferably). My only regret was knowing that there were some of my fellow laughing city citizens in the crowd and not knowing and of you guys. Maybe we should start a club in the Baltimore/DC area where we all get together, wear our shirts, listen to the music, and argue about whether we like Stacy or Sherri better...Just a thought.

Anywho. If Eisley hasn't come to your town yet you're in luck. The show is awesome. Enjoy. Laughing
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Thanks for the report! Glad you enjoyed the show!

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

Hey, I was there. What do you look like? haha.

The show was good, but I'm a zombie right now and have no voice at all, which doesn't matter since I'm typing, but it's still the excuse I'm using for not going into detail.
norad
Vintage Newbie

Kylee Janai wrote:

The show was good, but I'm a zombie right now and have no voice at all, which doesn't matter since I'm typing, but it's still the excuse I'm using for not going into detail.

I know you were there! I had to help you get back in. Haha
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Kylee Janai wrote:

I'm glad it was good! I think we used most of my text messages for the month talking. Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
Kylee Janai wrote:

I know you were there! I had to help you get back in. Haha

Haha, and I cannot thank you enough! Those club folk... sheeeesh!

TheAntrider wrote:
Kylee Janai wrote:

I'm glad it was good! I think we used most of my text messages for the month talking. Laughing

Oh no! Sorry, hahaha. My phone was dead by the last few songs. I don't know how I managed to use it anymore after.
keithabbott
Sea Post King

I enjoyed the show. I really liked Vedera more so than I thought I would. I wasn't sold on the Myriad. I know the type of music they are trying to make but the vocals were buried in the music. 3 guitars is too much. If they'd been mixed better it would have been more enjoyable but from what I saw on stage they suffer from being too "overdone". They try and oversell everything to their audience which to me was a turnoff. Coldplay does it much bettter.

Eisley was Eisley. I liked the mix of guitar and drums. Weston sounded a lot more visable last night than the previous shows I've seen him play. A nice change. I couldn't hear Stacy as well as I'd like to have though. She was a little low in the mix I thought. And it's always a pleasure to see Chauntelle rock it out. She's puts on a terrific performance. I got some pics but I've not had a chance to sort through them yet. I'll post them soon though.

It was good seeing Boyd again. Thanks again B- for coming to DC. We truly appreciate you guys stopping here.

PlentyOfCaskets
Sea Post King

Kylee Janai wrote:

Tall guy standing in front of sherri
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Kylee Janai wrote:
Oh no! Sorry, hahaha. My phone was dead by the last few songs. I don't know how I managed to use it anymore after.

It's ok! I don't mind. ha

Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

PlentyOfCaskets wrote:
Kylee Janai wrote:

Tall guy standing in front of sherri

Tall guy? I don't know then. There were loads. Anyhoo, I was over in between Chauntelle and Stacy up front.

TheAntrider wrote:
Kylee Janai wrote:

It's ok! I don't mind. ha

Good. You better not.

Soooo,
I actually got some cool pictures even though my camera is a big hunk of Nikoncoolpixcrap, so hopefully I can mess with 'em and share here shortly!
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Ha ha.

Woo! I'm looking forward to seeing your Coolpix ... er, cool pics!

Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
Ha ha.

You can see my Coolpix.. see it.. and throw it in the mud!!

Oh, and I think I have FINALLY.. gotten the best idea for t3x@$$!
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Kylee Janai wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
Ha ha.

Ha ha. Ohhh ... Sounds promising!

So were the security people jerks or what?

Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
Kylee Janai wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
Ha ha.

Ha ha. Ohhh ... Sounds promising!

So were the security people jerks or what?

It better be, or I'll burn bridges.

Oh yeah, definitely.

Me: "Hi. I'm bringing this in for Boyd DuPree"
Her: "Um.. no? I don't even know this "Boyd DuPree" fella"
Me: "He deals with Eisley, and he said it'd be cool if I came back in"
Her: "I don't know... *yells to some bald dude* Can you deal with her? I don't feel like it.. I don't know what she's even talking about."
Him: "What's under there?" *sees the bag, asks what it is (ugh, annoying) and says, "NO! You can't have them in here. I don't know this Boyd, and I'm not looking for him and you can't be in here.. soo..."

..it went on ..it was so humiliating, because they were literally pushing my out the door, and starring like I was some freak. Blah.
I know how clubs are.. they have their job, rules, whatever.. but jeez. 9:30 always does that. I remember I was on Guest List once for The Early November and they refused to let me in even though my name was on there. LAME-OHS to the max.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Bleh. Security people suck. Rent-a-cops and thugs, at best. I once was mocked for an hour in Dallas by a guard who wouldn't believe I was allowed to photograph the show. Then when Boyd came out to get me (which was awesome, because he's so busy), the guard pretended it was because I wouldn't let him search my bag. Rolling Eyes

goto page
 | next >>