Laughing City
eiswood09
Sea Post King

crusso wrote:
I missed it, what happened?

Stevie Nicks basically out-sang Taylor Swift. I don't get how Taylor won that many awards Shocked
crusso
Sea Post King

Young and pretty maybe? The Hollywood/Entertainment industry seems to be motivated by that.

Stevie's 61 years old, despite being super talented still.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I like Stevie, but man-alive, South Park nearly ruined it for me... If you don't know what I'm talking about (and are a fan of Stevie Nicks) good for you! Laughing

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
crusso
Sea Post King

I haven't seen the SP episode, but I will say that I always thought Stevie was amazingly pretty when she was young (She's still very pretty in a venerable way now vs just being young), and then add that to her talent - pretty awesome combination. It's unfortunate that she was so into drugs back then.

That's one thing Stacy has going for her (and all of the Duprees really), is that she's incredibly talented and won't let it screw her life up for a period of time because she's got such a good foundation and family to support her.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

crusso wrote:
I haven't seen the SP episode, but I will say that I always thought Stevie was amazingly pretty when she was young (She's still very pretty in a venerable way now vs just being young), and then add that to her talent - pretty awesome combination. It's unfortunate that she was so into drugs back then.

The most recent photo I've seen of Stevie was from maybe ten or twelve years ago, in People's Most Beautiful People issue. She looked amazing. I expect she actually has a few wrinkles now, whereas then her skin was flawless, but still. What a singer, and a gorgeous woman besides.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
crusso
Sea Post King

Look at her wiki picture. It's from 2009. It's hard to believe she's 61 based on that picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevie_Nicks
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Such a sad song. So sad. I really wonder how Stevie has played that song over and over again with Lindsey Buckingham. I mean how do you put yourself through that heartbreak over and over again? I know their breakup was like 30 years ago, but Fleetwood Mac continues (well, off and on). Stevie was hurt badly and this song was the result (or one of the results). I guess it's part of her journey though. She still seems pained when she sings it, though. She conveys the pain in her voice and in her nonverbals on the stage. It has to be hard.

To say Stacy did or didn't do the song better misses the point. This song is Stevie's. It will always be Stevie's. You cannot separate the people involved from the song when it is this personal of a song. I love Stacy's recording of it, no doubt. But the "you" in "Silver Springs" is Lindsey, and the song is Stevie's.
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

Stacy Dupree and Stevie Nicks are my two top "lady singer-songwriters" of all time.

This was basically a dream come true for me.

So beautiful.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

don't hurt me, but i can not stand Stevie's gravelly nasty voice.

it was fine in the hey day of FM.

But even so much as hearing her sing "landslide" live from a few years back is hard to listen to.

and her version of "silent night" makes me want to poke my eardrums.

i don't know, I just have never been a fan of her voice.

stacy, on the other hand, is a different story.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
crusso
Sea Post King

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
Such a sad song. So sad. I really wonder how Stevie has played that song over and over again with Lindsey Buckingham. I mean how do you put yourself through that heartbreak over and over again? I know their breakup was like 30 years ago, but Fleetwood Mac continues (well, off and on). Stevie was hurt badly and this song was the result (or one of the results). I guess it's part of her journey though. She still seems pained when she sings it, though. She conveys the pain in her voice and in her nonverbals on the stage. It has to be hard.

To say Stacy did or didn't do the song better misses the point. This song is Stevie's. It will always be Stevie's. You cannot separate the people involved from the song when it is this personal of a song. I love Stacy's recording of it, no doubt. But the "you" in "Silver Springs" is Lindsey, and the song is Stevie's.

Totally agree. It'll always be Stevie's song.

Really what excited me is that we got a snapshot of Stacy's singing in the present. I haven't been to any shows (never in Houston on a day besides thursday!) yet so I didn't really know. But man Stacy has really grown into an incredible vocalist. From Room Noises, where her and Sherri sound a lot alike (you can tell the difference if you listen hard), to Combinations where there's definitely a difference. My point is, Stacy is ridiculously talented. I think she's better than Stevie was at this point her musical walk. I like her version of Stevie's song better, but that doesn't diminish how great the song is in the first place.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

As far as heart-wrenching pain laden songs any song off Rumors, when performed by Fleetwood Mac has gotta sting all of them since the infidelity encompassed every member of the group, not with each other in every case, but 60% of the group were involved in a love triangle, and the other 40% were divorcing from each other.

The Chain and Go Your Own Way... them's fightin' words. And Gold Dust Woman??? Those emotions run deep, and between Stevie and Lindsey ( I don't play favorites, but honestly relate more than him cause I'm a dude etc*) they both portray the emotion of those songs like it was 1976. That's what makes them pros.

* had a mentor who was a roadie on some of their tours and told me some stories

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

I'd like her to do a less obvious cover, but this was nice.
Lost at Forum

Like 'Ambulance,' I just can't stop listening to it! It's that good! Smile

I went on YouTube to hear the original, but they're all live recordings, not very good sonically. I also read on another site, that Nicks wanted to record it for her first solo album, but Mick Fleetwood wouldn't give her the 'rights' to it. I don't know how that works?

eiswood09
Sea Post King

mikep0922 wrote:
I went on YouTube to hear the original, but they're all live recordings, not very good sonically.

Here's a good version of the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksmsv4myOmg&feature=related Smile
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Thanks! That was beautiful! Smile

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>