Laughing City
austin20011
Sea Post King

I will admit that a huge factor in why I like Eisley as much as I do is because they're from Texas. I like their music, and I think they are original.. which is huge for me. Just being a good musician isn't enough. I am into artists, and I look at music as it should be; art. I, myself, have a degree in art from Midwestern State University, work as an artist here in Austin, Tx. and make art everyone thinks of as "the most outrageous, most surreal, and mind warping art" they've ever seen. The only reason I'm mentioning this is only to add weight to my compliments to Eisley, not to brag. So not only do I ignore the staid and average, I simply do not have time for it. (I'm redesigning my website right now (literally) but if you want to see my art, e-mail me at mhays8100@yahoo.com, I will e-mail you back jpgs) Nonetheless, if Eisley were from, say... Ohio.. I wouldn't have as much of an affinity for them. Allow me to explain.
For those of you not from Tx., it's hard to understand, but there really hasn't been much of anything of any real value to come out of Texas.. ever.. can you say, "George W. Bush?" (Hope I don't get banned from this forum for using such profane words as those) Part "Bible Belt," part narrow-mindedness, Texas is truly a place that can get in the way of your dreams. I moved away to L.A. for ten years but came back for family obligations. If you get a chance, watch "The Last Picture Show." Though this is an old film, some things never change, and there is no other story that best depicts life in a small Texas town. Not to mention one of the best films of all time. There is one scene where Sybil Shepard's mother says to her, ".. I want you to move far away from this place... this flat, empty place."
There has always been a saying that nothing good can ever come from the South- especially Texas. It's sad, but it's true- I grew up here, and trust me- people get mad when I say this- and even angrier when they realize I'm from Tx., that this place is a cultural wasteland. So it always brings a smile to my face when I see Eisley's cute little faces on my TV. (Here in Austin we have Austin Music Network, a kind of quasi-cable access channel owned by the city, a sort of MTV, but they actually play nothing but music videos- and they play Eisley videos constantly- in fact that's where I first saw Eisley about a year ago and they immediately stuck out, and no one even knew who they were, much less where they were from. What was so cool about AMN was that anyone could send in a video and they would play it, and I suspect that is what happened with Eisley, to everyone's benefit. I didn't even know they were from Tx. when I first saw their Marvelous Things video. It left me with a feeling of sadness, but of hope, that I simply cannot explain. Sadly, and not surprisingly, Austin Music Network is being pulled off the air Sept. 1st... a demographic cable monitoring showed only 1% of the city of Austin actually watched AMN.. hello - that was me! Ha!! Everyone would rather watch U.T. football. Yes, yes, yes, Austin is "cool"- or should I say, the "coolest place in Texas," which isn't saying much- it's like saying, "the coolest guy in the Bush administration," and a lot of what you hear about this town is pure hype)
Eisley remind me of the friends I had growing up in a small town in Tx. (Burkburnett) We were into art and music heavily and were the outcasts in our school- it was especially rough for me being a guy- I used to hear all the time, "Mark, you're really good looking, but why are you so strange?" Think about what an odd message a comment like that insinuates, and the (lack of) values it implies. Just to add to the coincidence factor, bumping up my fondness for Eisley even more, my best friend growing up was from Tyler and moved to Burkburnett and he and his sister remind me of Eisley.. and what's kind of crazy is they even look like them!
Even though I am deeply involved in music and I am a musician myself as well, I have never posted a message on a "fanboard" for a band before, but this time I practically feel like I need to.
So my conclusion? I want to say that from a unique perspective that is close to my heart, that I wish Eisley only the very best, and I hope all of their dreams come true.. looks like a lot of those dreams have already come true... they give me a reason to be proud to say I'm from Texas. Best of wishes, Mark Hays.
Last edited by austin20011 on Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
RhymeloveandMelody
Lost at Forum

welcome to the board Mark! It's really nice around these parts. i kinda get what ur sayin bout Texas. I live in the Rio Grande Valley and well yeah i get it but nonetheless, it's always gonna be home. I do also share the extra pride you speak of in knowing Eisley is from Texas also.

Joined: 16 Jan 2004 | Posts: 1152 | Location: San Benito, Texas
austin20011
Sea Post King

RhymeloveandMelody wrote:
welcome to the board Mark! It's really nice around these parts. i kinda get what ur sayin bout Texas. I live in the Rio Grande Valley and well yeah i get it but nonetheless, it's always gonna be home. I do also share the extra pride you speak of in knowing Eisley is from Texas also.

Yea, this message baord seems like my kind of place. I sent you an e-mail to your website. So what do you think music is possible of? I can't stand boring ass people who think "it's all been done." To me Eisley is another example that imagination has no limits.
mattplayscheap
Sea Post King

Surprised welcome, hope to see more posts from you. -matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
McKenzies
Vintage Newbie

Welcome. Very Happy
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Welcome. Smile
I take exception to that "flat" remark, only because there are hills and trees in East Texas. Laughing But yeah ... I'll spare everyone my thoughts on Texas. I do have great pride that Eisley came out of my little corner of the state, which I thought was creatively desolate.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
austin20011
Sea Post King

[quote="TheAntrider"]Welcome. Smile
I take exception to that "flat" remark, only because there are hills and trees in East Texas.

Have you ever seen The Last Picture Show?
starnothing
Laughing Citizen

i have to say that although eisley being from texas isnt a major deal to me, i do feel like it is kind of amazing that they are from texas because like you said..it doesnt seem like much good comes out of our little..well, big fat state.
and like you said people who dont live here wont really understand.
but i think we're being too dramatic here..what about new jersey =x (i lived there).
austin20011
Sea Post King

starnothing wrote:
i have to say that although eisley being from texas isnt a major deal to me, i do feel like it is kind of amazing that they are from texas because like you said..it doesnt seem like much good comes out of our little..well, big fat state.
and like you said people who dont live here wont really understand.
but i think we're being too dramatic here..what about new jersey =x (i lived there).

Holy crap- I've seen so many films based in New Jersey. What is the deal with that place anyway? Personally, I prefer the west coast and that's it. So many forward thinking people gravitate there. It's impossible to understand it unless you're there. I want to move back, but everytime I mention it, my daughter goes into a rage.. I've tried to convince her to move back there with me, but she won't do it because she's too scared to relocate to an unfamiliar place. So I'm stuck between my love for my daughter and my love for where I really belong. Talk about drama.
Last edited by austin20011 on Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
looneycustom
Golly, Poster

Although I gotta disagree with you about the Texas thing ( I have a tattoo of Texas over my heart), and that nothing good ever came out of Texas. I do agree with you about Eisley.

Texas is a huge state, and to say that you're going to be trapped forever isnt acurate (sp). There's all types of folks here. You can move anywhere. Houston, D/FW, El Paso, ect. Small towns, large cities, an anything in between you can find in Texas. But hey, to each his own.

I'm one up on Marley
Joined: 02 Aug 2005 | Posts: 819 | Location: Huntsville, Tx
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

[quote="austin20011"]
TheAntrider wrote:
Welcome. Smile
I take exception to that "flat" remark, only because there are hills and trees in East Texas.

Have you ever seen The Last Picture Show?

I haven't. I probably should, though ...

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
austin20011
Sea Post King

looneycustom wrote:
Although I gotta disagree with you about the Texas thing ( I have a tattoo of Texas over my heart), and that nothing good ever came out of Texas. I do agree with you about Eisley.

Texas is a huge state, and to say that you're going to be trapped forever isnt acurate (sp). There's all types of folks here. You can move anywhere. Houston, D/FW, El Paso, ect. Small towns, large cities, an anything in between you can find in Texas. But hey, to each his own.

My only problem with "I Wasn't Prepared for This?"... needs more cowbell. (Ha) You know, you're right, Texas is HUGE, but so is the Nazi mind state in this country. Think about this.. micro-perspective vs. macro-perspective.. sure you can constrast Bubba with Jetho because Bubba drives a Chevy Pickup and Jethro drives a Ford pickup. But from the perspective of an outsider, all you can see is two pickup driving, redneck, Bush supporters.. and chances are neither one are not exactly inventive.. I have met so many people here that are well educated, but so incredibly stupid in their attitudes. So what little hope is there of sharing even one thread of exciting, inventive thought with these people? Part of my admiration for Eisley is that they apparently blocked all of this out and moved on.
looneycustom
Golly, Poster

austin20011 wrote:
looneycustom wrote:

My only problem with "I Wasn't Prepared for This?"... needs more cowbell. (Ha) You know, you're right, Texas is HUGE, but so is the Nazi mind state in this country. Think about this.. micro-perspective vs. macro-perspective.. sure you can constrast Bubba with Jetho because Bubba drives a Chevy Pickup and Jethro drives a Ford pickup. But from the perspective of an outsider, all you can see is two pickup driving, redneck, Bush supporters.. and chances are neither one are not exactly inventive.. I have met so many people here that are well educated, but so incredibly stupid in their attitudes. So what little hope is there of sharing even one thread of exciting, inventive thought with these people? Part of my admiration for Eisley is that they apparently blocked all of this out and moved on.

LOL. Here's the thing. I'm Bubba. I support Bush. And I'd've supported Kerry, or McClain or anyone else. Because they're the chosen leader of our country and deserve our support. But that's enough of that. You gotta live one day at a time bro. Lifes too short to have a hateful mindset. Unless you're hating on post '85 Fords. I"m a firm believer in that whole "you can be anything you want to be" thing. I dropped out of highschool my freshman year, went to work for a mechanic as an apprentice, making next to nothing. I learnt what I needed to know, or wanted to rather, and quit there. Worked several small jobs. Pizza delivery guy, meter reader, janitor, ditch digger.....Then I became a guitar tech. I'm living happily, I have a profession I love, and now have an offer to travel Europe and be a guitar tech for a rising heavy metal band. And I tell you, I never met no Nazi.

I'm one up on Marley
austin20011
Sea Post King

Like all of your brethren, you have an amazing ability to constanly miss the point.. if I say I "hate" hatefulness, i.e., Bush- Adolph Hitler, what I'm saying is that I hate hate. Simple, easy to understand. Hate has that uncanny ability to impede on people and invoke their own hatefullness and resentment of hateful ideallessness. Unfortunately for you, advanced thinking is much like Redeo Drive in Hollywood... if you have to ask, then you can't afford it, but not in the world of finance, but in the world of ideals.
looneycustom
Golly, Poster

austin20011 wrote:
Like all of your brethren, you have an amazing ability to constanly miss the point.. if I say I "hate" hatefulness, i.e., Bush- Adolph Hitler, what I'm saying is that I hate hate. Simple, easy to understand. Hate has that uncanny ability to impede on people and invoke their own hatefullness and resentment of hateful ideallessness. Unfortunately for you, advanced thinking is much like Redeo Drive in Hollywood... if you have to ask, then you can't afford it, but not in the world of finance, but in the world of ideals.

Bro, there aint no need to start thowing insults. Now, all I said was that there aint nobody holding you down, here in Texas, or anywhere else, but yourself. I've seen it happen hundreds of times, working SEG at the Wynn unit. Guys go in knowing that they have two choices. They can stay the person that got them there, or they can better themselves and do something to better society.

I hate conspiricies.

I'm one up on Marley