Laughing City

Can you tell the difference?
Yes, it's really obvious!
50%
 50%  [ 8 ]
Not at all.
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
I can tell, but it's not a big enough difference to matter.
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

Has anyone read this article? Can you tell the difference?
I'm trying to decide whether to re-import my library as 256 kbps (or something higher than 128 kbps) or not. I think I can hear a difference, but since I didn't do a blind test I'm not exactly sure.

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

I can't tell a difference...
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

on both of those samples i actually preferred the lower-quality file! wierd, huh? but i won't encode my music using "lossy" compression of any sort — i want to hear the music as close as possible to the way the artists intended. i also rip all my albums as single files. i don't know how practical any of that is with an iPod, 'cause i don't have one — but, if it isn't practical, then i don't want one!
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
My Blackened Crown
Sea Post King

I've been producing music, and if you like...concentrate really really hard you can tell.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

It really depends on what you are using to playback the sound. If you have ipod headphones, don't bother.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

I can hear some difference on my computer speakers but it's more obvious on my sennheiser headphones.
Odan
Laughing Citizen

I can tell the difference... it kind of makes me want to re-rip all my CDs for the higher quality... I first chose the lower quality for the sake of saving disc space on my computer and iPod...and I never actually tried it out to listen to the difference... now that I've heard the difference...

DRMS_7888 wrote:
It really depends on what you are using to playback the sound. If you have ipod headphones, don't bother.

Does that mean I shouldn't re-rip them for my iPod? I still listen to music on my laptop with computer speakers...

Chris_Mulder
Sea Post King

I rip all of my stuff at 192, although I used to rip everything at 320. I can usually hear the compression in 128.

do not be afraid. wrote:
i also rip all my albums as single files.

Why?

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Odan wrote:
I can tell the difference... it kind of makes me want to re-rip all my CDs for the higher quality... I first chose the lower quality for the sake of saving disc space on my computer and iPod...and I never actually tried it out to listen to the difference... now that I've heard the difference...

DRMS_7888 wrote:

Does that mean I shouldn't re-rip them for my iPod? I still listen to music on my laptop with computer speakers...

I have never found ipod headphones (or any headphones that you shove into your ear) to be very accurate or notable in terms of sound quality. 15 dollar Sony MDR-150s regularly out preform such pairs. If you want a really nice pair of headphones, the Sennheiser HD280s or Sony Pro MDR-7506s are godly. I have used (but never owned, too poor) and loved these.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Odan
Laughing Citizen

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Odan wrote:

DRMS_7888 wrote:

I have never found ipod headphones (or any headphones that you shove into your ear) to be very accurate or notable in terms of sound quality. 15 dollar Sony MDR-150s regularly out preform such pairs. If you want a really nice pair of headphones, the Sennheiser HD280s or Sony Pro MDR-7506s are godly. I have used (but never owned, too poor) and loved these.

I've wanted the Sony MDR 150 for a while.. do you think I should spend $10 more for the MDR-250 or even $20 more for the MDR-300? As in is there much of a difference between them?
... haha this turned into a discussion on headphones...

do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

Chris_Mulder wrote:
I rip all of my stuff at 192, although I used to rip everything at 320. I can usually hear the compression in 128.

do not be afraid. wrote:
i also rip all my albums as single files.

Why?

i do it because i rarely skip around, or listen to individual tracks, etc, so there's no reason for me not to, and ripping them all as single files makes my library easier to organize.
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

At $70 and up, it seems to me like any model of Sennheiser headphones sound as good as the Sonys that are twice the price. Also, the HD280s aren't that expensive... you can get them for $80ish.

Rather than investing a few hundred in a crappy stereo system, I recommend spending the money on headphones. For $300-$400 you can get some Sennheiser headphones that are insane. Way, way better audio quality than a $5000 stereo system.

Also, DNBA wins for listening to albums instead of songs.
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Kappa962 wrote:
At $70 and up, it seems to me like any model of Sennheiser headphones sound as good as the Sonys that are twice the price. Also, the HD280s aren't that expensive... you can get them for $80ish.

Rather than investing a few hundred in a crappy stereo system, I recommend spending the money on headphones. For $300-$400 you can get some Sennheiser headphones that are insane. Way, way better audio quality than a $5000 stereo system.

Also, DNBA wins for listening to albums instead of songs.

I have a cheap pair of headphones for myself, and they sound pretty good. But I can definitely tell the difference when I use my son's high-end headphones (which we bought him for some music therapy thing). I forget the brand, but they were about $100.
golly andrew
Laughing Citizen

I have $40ish Sennheiser's (HD212Pro). For the Mozart, the 256 just seemed louder. For R.E.M., the cymbals are a giveaway. 128 makes it sound like sizzling bacon.

I really want to do a blind test though. I wish there was a site that would present it as a quiz.
Joined: 23 Mar 2005 | Posts: 1919 | Location: In a glass case of emotion
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

golly andrew wrote:
I have $40ish Sennheiser's (HD212Pro). For the Mozart, the 256 just seemed louder. For R.E.M., the cymbals are a giveaway. 128 makes it sound like sizzling bacon.

I really want to do a blind test though. I wish there was a site that would present it as a quiz.

We could just make them for eachother with audacity or something.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY