Laughing City
bmxbandit
Sea Post King

By far all the girls in Eisley are some of my favorite vocalists. Unique, powerful, inspiring..I could go on and on, thats why I signed up for this forum, they are an amazing band worth talking about.

With that being said, I'm kind of bummed at how time can change you're voice, because IMO, Stacy's and Sherri's voices are definitely not the same. I mean yes, I think their voices are still just as good ..just not in the same way, so I guess its just hard for me to accept the inevitable change. I can definitely tell Stacy's voice is a lot deeper now on Combinations and live, as well as Sherri's being a bit different too (kind of hard for me to explain how) in my opinion.

I know for a fact mine has changed for the worse.. I can't hit as many notes and my voice in general is not as versatile. Practice makes perfect though, but still growing older has changed my singing voice to a point that I'm not super satisfied with like I used to be. It's almost like I forgot how to do a lot of things I used to do and no matter how hard I try I can't find it in me to do them again. So I learn new styles and tricks and just roll with it I guess.

What do you all think of Eisley's singing now a days?

p.s.
They are truly blessed I can tell you that much!
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

I think their voices and ears have improved immensely. Their technical skills have improved, and their intonation has also definitely improved. In fact, I have a hard time listening to some of the old stuff because of the voices. I think they're much more rich, mature and developed in the best way possible.

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
starnothing
Laughing Citizen

I think their voices have only gotten better. And, it's not like they're dudes - their voices don't change that much from when they were younger...
bmxbandit
Sea Post King

I agree, they have gotten better. I'm just saying the change is hard to accept even if there are improvements..nothing sounds like stacy's eerie voice on blackened crown (although that was years ago). In my opinion it's less enchanting/magical and more emotional/moving now it seems..which is totally cool, just different.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Yeah, they have grown so much in every way. I haven't had much trouble accepting it, though, since they've gotten so good.

Also, this makes me miss my BMX ... stupid city having nowhere to ride.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ks1990
Lost at Forum

I think their voices are even better and far more improved since their older songs. Especially Stacy's.
bmxbandit
Sea Post King

TheAntrider wrote:

Your location sais Texas..if you're anywhere near Austin (not familiar with TX) you're near the best bike riding scene here in the states! Cool
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

bmxbandit wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:

Your location sais Texas..if you're anywhere near Austin (not familiar with TX) you're near the best bike riding scene here in the states! Cool

Ha, yeah. My older brother lived there for most of a year (back when Austin was first gaining national prominence), and it was BMX nirvana. Alas, I'm a good 5 hours away. Neutral Nice to hear Austin is still on top, though.

I've seen Eisley in Austin about 4 times, though. Laughing

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

They are much more in tune with each compared to the old EP days, and Stacy sings with greater resonance and emotion.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

The only way they've changed that I can see (besides improving, as is bound to happen when you tour practically constantly for four years straight) is that it is now much easier to tell them apart. Stacy used to sound just like Sherri; on the independent recordings and Laughing City EP I can not tell them apart. Now they're both quite distinctive.

Even when an artist doesn't start their career pre-puberty, voices change. Bono doesn't sing like 1980s Bono anymore; Thom Yorke doesn't sing like 1993 Thom Yorke anymore; KT Tunstall doesn't sing like pre-2004 KT Tunstall anymore. Vocal changes are part of being a singer, regardless of age.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
norad
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
Even when an artist doesn't start their career pre-puberty, voices change. Bono doesn't sing like 1980s Bono anymore; Thom Yorke doesn't sing like 1993 Thom Yorke anymore; KT Tunstall doesn't sing like pre-2004 KT Tunstall anymore. Vocal changes are part of being a singer, regardless of age.

I remember watching and REM performance with my uncle once and he pointed out that Michael Stipe sounds a lot different now. He said something about him smoking too much.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
Saellys wrote:

I remember watching and REM performance with my uncle once and he pointed out that Michael Stipe sounds a lot different now. He said something about him smoking too much.

Even if a singer doesn't smoke, most venues are totally full of secondhand smoke. It'll all wreak the same havoc on your vocal cords.

Of course, production values have changed a lot over the last two decades and producers use better-quality mics, different effects, and other mastering techniques now that could also make singers sound different. Guitars on an album recorded in the 80s sound different from guitars on a current album, even if it's the same guitar. The same is often true of vocals.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:

It's really funny to me to listen to Robert Smiths snotty punk voice on the super old Cure demos.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, Bono sounds awful now. That's what happen when you don't take care of your voice.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

I love their younger voices, but I also love their matured voices as well. It's nice to have a good amount of songs from both.

It'd also be really cool to hear some of their really early stuff redone (ahem... Mr. Pine, Blackened Crown... Pretender (just kidding Laughing )). And not just live, but re-recorded.

But, I don't expect them to do that, and I totally understand why. It's not like they can improve upon those brilliant songs.