Laughing City
goto page
 | next >>

Your feeling on R.E.M. is?
I like R.E.M.
64%
 64%  [ 32 ]
I haven't really heard any R.E.M. even though they've been around over 20 years - basically I live in a cave.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
I prefer older R.E.M. before they sold out and before Berry left.
26%
 26%  [ 13 ]
I'm a teeny bopper and I want my mommy (ga ga goo goo)!
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 50

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I'm digging the new R.E.M. record, Accelerate.
It even has a track about Houston dealing with the Katrina aftermath.

Most reviews say it is 'a return to form,' yet I've liked the last few records.
I think one reason they haven't sat well with the general public is because they're beautifully arranged, dense, introspective songs for the most part, not disposable pop. They grow on you.

guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

I like R.E.M. I just don't really listen to them ever. It's the same way with the B-52s. I really like them, I just don't listen to them.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

guitarfreak217 wrote:
I like R.E.M. I just don't really listen to them ever. It's the same way with the B-52s. I really like them, I just don't listen to them.

I only know a song or two of the B-52s and for some reason I tend to hate Love Shack. They also teamed up with R.E.M. for Shiny Happy People I believe and I remember hating that as well.

I got Around the Sun (the last rem record) back out and I was pleasantly surprised. I remember it getting really horrible reviews. In my opinion it's way too long, so on my drive to work I cut out tracks 3,5 and 6 and made it a 10 track 42 min or so album and it's very solid. I can see why those 3 tracks are on the album, but they could have made an EP and put those tracks there. So if any of you have Around the Sun and didn't ever get into, try that and see if you like it. I have a long drive to and from work every week day so I get more listening time than the average person.

I love the "leaving was never my proud" line from Leaving New York.
It makes no sense really, but in the context of the lyrics and song it makes perfect sense.

I'm glad someone responded to one of my Music threads though. Threads on Clinic and Stephen Malkmus were completely ignored. I was beginning to get disappointed.

kLafied
Laughing Citizen

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BjcRi5l4kGE
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

REM is an all time favorite of mine but I haven't liked the post Bill Berry albums. There is nothing particularly wrong with them but they just lack the same spirit to me.
norad
Vintage Newbie

I remember my uncle telling me about his stalker story with Micheal Stipe. Laughing He saw him at a party one night and said hi and spoke with him a bit. The next night or something he saw him at another party. Micheal Stipe seemed a little creeped out and thought he was like a stalker. Laughing
johnip
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
I remember my uncle telling me about his stalker story with Micheal Stipe. Laughing He saw him at a party one night and said hi and spoke with him a bit. The next night or something he saw him at another party. Micheal Stipe seemed a little creeped out and thought he was like a stalker. Laughing

Michael Stipe used to come to my parents yard sales in the 80's haha. And my dad and I met Fred Schneider from the B-52's at a yard sale about 10 years ago lol. Athens yard sales are magnets for hip bands! Laughing

Vintage Newbie

I love R.E.M. I really do. Sadly, I haven't heard the new album yet! I'll have to check it out.

Michael Stipe. Well, since there have already been so many stories.. ha.

Everytime I mention R.E.M. or anyone connected to them somehow my good friend has to tell me the story, which I have heard hundreds of times, how Michael held him as a baby at some festival or another, or maybe it was his brothers house. Goodness, I don't even know. My ears turn off when I hear it anymore. Laughing
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I haven't had a chance to listen to the new album yet, but I like R.E.M., and have probably since the late '80s.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

i like rem just dont really love them. Listen to them every once in awhile and wonder why i dont listen to them more, and then there are times i listen to them and could care less.
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

kulvir wrote:
REM is an all time favorite of mine but I haven't liked the post Bill Berry albums. There is nothing particularly wrong with them but they just lack the same spirit to me.

Same here. Everything through Hi-Fi was solid-to-classic, then they took a left turn into the ditch with Up and have yet to get the car back on the road. Will listen to Accelerate but not getting my hopes up. Who knew Bill was so intrinsic to their output??
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

R.E.M. are geniuses and I love them. Peter Buck is a god and the older and dumpier he gets, the better he looks.

Here's their awesome Colbert show appearance. http://youtube.com/watch?v=xFM2wudTFR8

I think the new album has some of their best songs on it, but tragically it's mastered into oblivion. Except for "Supernatural Superserious," I can't hear Stipe clearly and there's no clarity for the bass and drums. Even on my car stereo, which makes everything sound awesome, Accelerate is mud. It's sad that such a solid album got such a bad treatment in post-production. Surely they can afford to get it mastered by someone who understands and appreciates dynamics.

kLafied wrote:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BjcRi5l4kGE

Hem covered "The One I Love" this way first. But damn, Rosie Thomas killed it. Amazing.

EDIT: Oops, I'm a dumbass. Hem covered "So. Central Rain" and the cover of "The One I Love" I keep hearing on the college radio station is Rosie and Sufjan.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jared x
Lost at Forum

I love how apparently you are a "teeny bopper" if you don't like R.E.M. Nice. Rolling Eyes
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Jared x wrote:
I love how apparently you are a "teeny bopper" if you don't like R.E.M. Nice. Rolling Eyes

Actually I was going to remove that after further thought, but I saw no way to edit a Poll. I originally had something about that in the post as I was getting disappointed that no one at all had anything to say about Clinic or Stephen Malkmus. I figured the same would happen with REM as if no one that comes here any more knows any bands older than 5 years besides Radiohead or the Beatles maybe. Oddly enough, all 3 of the bands I mentioned have Radiohead connections.

As far as mastering, the album almost sounds mono to me for the most part. Maybe that was an even further deliberate point to get back to their older sound? All that matters to me is that they don't make Stipe's voice sound robotic via AutoTune like most of the industry these days.

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

I was listening to R.E.M. before y'all were born haha. Oh wait that's not funny, it's depressing. When they first got airplay I hadn't heard anything like it really, well nothing that was currently being played at the time. I didn't know what to think or how to categorize it. The first song I heard was "Radio Free Europe" I guess, I thought it was punk or new wave maybe, something like The Clash, I was kinda stupid. I still don't have any of their albums, yet I have two Ratt tuh tuh(with two t's) LP's in a box somewhere, hah.
I used to sing "The One I Love" in one of the cheezy cover bands I was in. We used to practice/play in a bar for clueless drunks and one day one of the regulars came in and said "Hey, I heard y'all on the radio!" He thought that was our song lol. **Edit** Oops wait, I remeber now it was Nirvana "Come as You Are" he heard on the radio, I sang that one too.
My favorite R.E.M. songs are "Shiny Happy People", "Man on the Moon", "Daysleeper", "Fall On Me" but my top-favorite is "Driver 8."
I could get a couple of their "Best Of" cd's and be content with that.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX

goto page
 | next >>