45%
 45%  [ 14 ]
meh
32%
 32%  [ 10 ]
he's so prolific he puts out an album every week
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
i prefer BRYAN (everything i do for you) adams, thank you!
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 31

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Thanks for posting the UK interview, like in the pitchfork ones, given time, he will make sense, and a good point or two. If you can track down the Rollins Show episode they did last year, they have a good sit down, him and Henry...

As for other blogs, if you like Ryan Adams music you might like Geoff Koch. He's a passionate and opinionated guy and blogs on blogspot. http://geoffkoch.blogspot.com He's up on myspace where his music is, http://www.myspace.com/geoffreykochmusic , it's good stuff in my opinion. He's all heart in the end and wears his on his sleeve. One way or another he makes people feel.

Then there's Juliana Hatfield's blog http://julianahatfield.com/blog where she has been braking down her songs, but actually using her songs as a jumping off point to wax philosophical about a ton of things. It's a good read and bodes well for her book that just came out. Perhaps she started a trend, since Adams has a book in the works too, and is blogging? Who knows.

Ryan Adams, proving he can do what he pleases, and weather the screw ups, he's sort of like Rock & Roll's Robert Downey Jr., if you ignore that He put out an album too. (They both have worked with Elton John)

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Then there's Juliana Hatfield's blog http://julianahatfield.com/blog where she has been braking down her songs, but actually using her songs as a jumping off point to wax philosophical about a ton of things. It's a good read and bodes well for her book that just came out. Perhaps she started a trend, since Adams has a book in the works too, and is blogging? Who knows.

they must be friends - juliana/ryan - since there are several pics of her on his blog......or he's infactuated.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

they must be friends - juliana/ryan - since there are several pics of her on his blog......or he's infactuated.

Well, she does talk about dating various rock stars because she was infatuated with their music, and how it always failed to work out... just dig this excerpt from her book...

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/23087968/juliana_hatfields_bad_ boy_decisions/print

Not saying they were ever an item, Lord knows she's been hounded with those sorts of rumors her whole career, but guys like him are often the subjects of many of her songs. She usually skewers them pretty fiercely, but heck, generic Rock and Roll lifestylers are such easy targets after all. It's so cliche, but without being cliche how can you be cool?

I get the feeling that if they are friends, the conversations are worth intense psychological study.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

bigideas wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
jerkface, I mean Ryan Adams.

Twisted Evil

he gushed about Metallica's new album,
talks about comic books,
loves to blog
and take pictures...

YOU ARE RYAN ADAMS!

Laughing

Laughing Isn't that how it always works?

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

http://www.wttsfm.com/studio92.htm

some acoustic songs for radio.
the last one is them making up a song for the station.

do come back and tell how the show was please.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
http://www.wttsfm.com/studio92.htm

some acoustic songs for radio.
the last one is them making up a song for the station.

do come back and tell how the show was please.

They are streaming Fix it and maybe the other two on his site or Myspace, I forget which.

Now for the show. I am not going to write a full blown review. All I can say is that it was an excellent show, and they were happy to be playing in a legit theatre and it showed. There was a respect for the show that they had, they wanted to play their best, not just jump up their and get their rocks off.

The set was a mix of material from Love is Hell, Cold Roses, Easy Tiger, Heartbreaker, and Cardinology material.

There were no solo songs, each song had a full out arrangement, even if it only built to it over the course of the two or three verses in a tune (Wonderwall for example). Lots of 2, 3, and 4 part harmony, and Ryan has got a little more control over his upper register, so there were lots of high pretty notes, sustained. The jammed a few tunes out, and keep a pleasant vibe.

The didn't lean on one side of the catalog or another. It was an even mix of all his meanderings. It was nearly a 3 hour show, no opener, just an intermission and some comedy brakes because of the rowdy crowd that wouldn't stop yelling requests, before, after, AND DURING songs. I was cool with it, because, there were some youtube worthy stage banter moments as result (I didn't have video). For such a lovely theatre, having 6 bartenders in the Lobby may have been a bad move. Needless to say, there was an issue with some gals wanting to dance, and people sitting down wanting to see. Oddly enough, the dancers wanted everyone else to stand up and vocalized it, if the video surfaces, you will get vintage Ryan Adams personality... it started like this:

"I'm sort of at WORK right now..."

They are a tight band, the guys have their stuff down. Closest thing I can compare the experiece to was when I saw Tom Petty on the Last DJ tour. It's that kind of vibe. They played like they'd been doing it 30 years. There's a nice interview about their aspirations here:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entertainment/stories.nsf/music/story  /00CA634F5B4E6B93862574D400735E2C?OpenDocument

Neal Casal makes a pretty big claim, which they backed up. The Cardinals are everything people hoped the Wallflowers would be, but I felt never were. If they stick it out with this line-up, we are very very fortunate.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i've been checking the Archive for the setlist and it seems like they're keeping a good variety. the only show where i heard anything remotely negative had some sound issues.

and i preordered this - most i've ever spent on a book other than The Stanley Kubrick Archives - although i think it's pretty reasonable considering you get it signed 5 months early - and exclusive autographed/numbered chapbook. $10 shipping seemed high to me. oh well. i guess if one gets tired of it, i'm sure they could recoup the dough easily on eBay:

http://www.akashicbooks.com/ryanadamspreorder.htm

"Ryan Adams, one of America's most consistently interesting singer-songwriters, has written a passionate, arresting, and entertaining book of verse. Fans are going to love it, and newcomers will be pleased and startled by his intensity and originality. The images are vivid and the voice is honest and powerful."
--Stephen King, author of The Shining

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

but I tend to just check out musician's biograhphies from the Library... Heck of a way to be supportive, but, I tend to not go back to them, but... there is a really good documentary called All We Are Saying, that is worth watching if you are into biography and dig music and muscians in general. The number of notable performers who sit down to chat is pretty darn stunning, just check the link to IMDB. I caught it on showtime and VHS'd it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0458314/fullcredits#cast

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
but I tend to just check out musician's biograhphies from the Library...

i'm pretty sure this is not autobiographical.

since there are no openers, did the show start on time?

my friend is big on the OU/Texas game - i hope it doesn't go long and make us late. i need to make a run to Zaxby's and i'd also like to visit Good Records if possible - although maybe we'd have time afterwards(?).

btw, All We Are Saying, looks pretty interesting. i guess they took that lyric from Lennon.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
wilsmith wrote:
but I tend to just check out musician's biograhphies from the Library...

i'm pretty sure this is not autobiographical.

since there are no openers, did the show start on time?

my friend is big on the OU/Texas game - i hope it doesn't go long and make us late. i need to make a run to Zaxby's and i'd also like to visit Good Records if possible - although maybe we'd have time afterwards(?).

btw, All We Are Saying, looks pretty interesting. i guess they took that lyric from Lennon.

They were maybe 10 minutes behind on show time, waiting on the house to fill up is my guess. Lots of people bought tix at the door for this one is my guess. Honestly, I know people love their football, but you can't DVR actually being at a concert... But to each their own in that regard.

Yup, I can't remember if the song opens the movie or is featured in anyway, but it IS interesting. Lets just say, its the most humanizing documentary on musician I've ever seen. Anyone featured that you are a fan of, you will only become more of a fan, and develop a greater sense of solidarity with them in regards to their love of humanity expressed through their sharing of music. It's a must watch for any music lover, that's to be for sure.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Honestly, I know people love their football, but you can't DVR actually being at a concert... But to each their own in that regard.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I could care less.
If I was sitting at home and I knew there was a big game and especially since it was Texas related I'd probably watch some and maybe keep watching if it stayed close, but otherwise I wouldn't care.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

their webpage don't joke. they get on pretty much on time and they play until curfew. then they even came back out and did 3 more songs. i wasn't looking at my watch but this says they went on at 8:37 and then i know they played until 11 never leaving the stage. then they came back after a a standing o for several minutes. they did have some banter for a while. Ryan was quite funny actually.

On: 9:37 pm EST

1. Cobwebs
2. Come Pick Me Up (electric w/ harmonica)
3. Everybody Knows
3. Wonderwall
4. Magick
5. Let It Ride
6. Desire
7. Fix It
9. Natural Ghost
10. Sun Also Sets
11. Goodnight Rose
12. Dear John
13. Crossed Out Name
14. Stars Go Blue
15. Sink Ships
16. La Cienega
17. Peaceful Valley
18. Cold Roses
19. Off Broadway
20. Shakedown
21. A Kiss Before I Go
22. The End
23. Bartering Lines
24. Rescue Blues
25. Stop

Off: 12:00 EST

On 12:06 EST

26. Freeway to the Canyon
27. Evergreen
28. Beautiful Sorta

Off: 12:20 EST

I believe this was the premiere of Cardinology's closing track, Stop. They had a clip of the studio version which sounded like a 29 era track on acoustic piano, but he played it kinda funky on Wurlitzer. very good.

he changed the lyrics to bits of the songs on a couple:
- one he added a verse about robots
- another he added something about texting him while he had the flu
(they had postponed the prior two show because multiple people had the flu so i really didn't know the show was still on until i checked on their page around noon).

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

i didn't want to spoil it, but there was actually what appeared to be a "skit" that lead to the intermission at the St. Louis show. Ryan was hilarious and very self-depreciating at the show here, cracks about that band being great and all the guys are cool, but that one guy is crazy etc.

On: 9:46pm EST

1. Cobwebs (everyone is standing)
2. Everybody Knows
3. Come Pick Me Up
4. Wonderwall
5. Fix It
6. La Cienega
7. Goodnight Rose (beautiful)
8. The Sun Also Sets
9. Oh My God Whatever Etc
10. Rescue Blues
11. Magick
12. Desire
13. Let it Ride
14. Peaceful Valley

Roadie brought out Ryan's black and white electric, and he started to play and was like "This thing's not in the right tuning." Neal agreed. Ryan said something to the effect of "It's all Sonic Youth sounding... Oh well, let's take a break!" Neal "Yeah, 10 minute break". Ryan, "Yeah, lets all take a break, go out, smoke, drink, whatever, and we'll be back in ten minutes.,"

The way it happened and being in a theater that deals more in plays and musicals, felt SO staged and theatrical, in a hilarious way, too good to be true, and was totally unexpected. If it really was spur of the moment, that just makes our show all the cooler. I figured that used that excuse more than one as a slick segue to a break.

Break: 11:00pm EST

On 11:13pm EST

15. Crossed Out Name
16. Afraid Not Scared
17. Bartering Lines
18. Love Is Hell
19. Shakedown
20. Natural Ghost
21. Two
22. Sinking Ship
23. How Do You Keep Love Alive
24. The End
25. Off Broadway
26. Cold Roses
27. ICY Monsters

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

he was having a lot of trouble with his guitar during the show.
that black and white strat - on one song he just slid it across the floor to the tech. several songs he was tuning while he was singing.

i would have liked to have heard those 3 Love is Hell tracks you saw:
Afraid Not Scare, LiH, I See Monsters

someone said they would have access to taping directly from the soundboard, so hopefully i'll get that.

are there any other bands touring without openers and playing 2.5-3 hours every night?

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

In 98' Parliament Funkdelic/ P-Funk Allstars did just that with no intermissions when I saw them. I don't dig the dead or many jam bands, but many of them are known to stretch out. But really, its a jazz thing, and since "jam bands" borrow from Jazz as much as anything else, those extended jams and longwinded sets are hold-overs.

Cardinals can do it simply because of the catalog of material they're working with, they just have the songs to do it, and since there are no big hits for them, they have no reason to "reel it in" and play the hits. All they have to do is nail a good set, length not being a factor.

The LIH material was a pleasant surprise since it was done Pre-Cardinals. I was hoping for Turn Around from Strangers Almanac in the deep recesses of my heart... Oh well.

Yeah I hear the boards are made available, but have no confirmation for the STL show.

As for the Tele, that was the guitar in question that beget our intermission. It must have sentimental value... Given time, I suspect we'll see the RockNRoll cover reinacted with that one.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>