Laughing City
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

Chauntelle is selling her art from her facebook account... read her twitter today................................................................. ..... is it good art? Does she have a picture of it in her facebook account? Is facebook a good site to join? What's it like? I am thinking about joining so I can place an order for her art; also I recieved an email facebook invite from a good friend! Smile
norad
Vintage Newbie

This is the drawing she's selling: http://www.strangeyellowpatterns.com/coppermine/gallery/displayimage.p hp?pid=12133

Chauntelle wrote:
Still available people! "Crazelda Curls" the 1'st of 4 in my series "The Curls Family". The other 3 will be released over the next few months!
>>ONLY $20!!!<< Sale ends Sunday, July 3'rd! Paypal, check or money order will work. Email me at : Chauntelle_Art@yahoo.com if you want one! Smile http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=235359089815704&id=13 50374189
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Unregistered wrote:
Is facebook a good site to join?

If you've gone this long without joining, don't even bother now. Also, the invite you received from a good friend was probably sent out automatically without that friend's knowledge.

Your life is richer and more fulfilling without Facebook, I promise. And you don't actually need a Facebook to order the art. Smile

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
Unregistered wrote:

If you've gone this long without joining, don't even bother now. Also, the invite you received from a good friend was probably sent out automatically without that friend's knowledge.

Your life is richer and more fulfilling without Facebook, I promise. And you don't actually need a Facebook to order the art. Smile
This.

Plus, Facebook will be the next Myspace before you know it. Google+ seems like it could be 'the next big (soul-sucking) thing'.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
Unregistered wrote:

Also, the invite you received from a good friend was probably sent out automatically without that friend's knowledge.

First off, I would check with the friend about the invite before assuming that an auto-invite script ran on the Facebook Server to invite you. Don't let these contrary folks on this board spoil it for you.

Facebook isn't the end all be all, but to be honest, it's been very useful for me, with family spread out, friends from college who I used to have more time to talk to on the phone who have families and can't have the blownout 3 hour conversations, we have been able to stay in touch, and share the vital aspects of our friendship in a more convenient, less phone-tag ridden way.

Take it from me, the Guy who doesn't have an Iphone, Ipad, cable, netflix, or the internet at home, among other modern perks, by choice, cause... I'm contrary too Laughing

But I have gotten a lot of good out of facebook, but I think it's easier/ less conspicuous as a guy, particularly if you're not on their looking to reconnect with lost loves etc, and just catching up with friends and fam, with no emotional or relational baggage.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Saellys wrote:
Unregistered wrote:

Also, the invite you received from a good friend was probably sent out automatically without that friend's knowledge.

First off, I would check with the friend about the invite before assuming that an auto-invite script ran on the Facebook Server to invite you. Don't let these contrary folks on this board spoil it for you.

That's why I said "probably". Razz I've gotten plenty of those invites before, and not a one of them was legit.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

True. You did qualify your statement appropriately, but it was still biased. Let the guy feel wanted why don'tcha Razz

You may be shootin' down a love connection in the making or something??? You never know Neutral

Oh, and I forgot to make my Original Point:

More folks should know that it seems all the Dupree sisters are creative and talented visual artists... I think??? If one or two aren't I plead the 5th cause it means I haven't seen their work and thought I did.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
eiswood09
Sea Post King

Unregistered wrote:
Chauntelle is selling her art from her facebook account... read her twitter today................................................................. ..... is it good art? Does she have a picture of it in her facebook account? [/size]

Yes, Chauntelle is a wonderful artist, in my opinion.

Grazelda by Chauntelle DuPree

Unregistered wrote:
Is facebook a good site to join? What's it like? I am thinking about joining so I can place an order for her art[size=9]; also I recieved an email facebook invite from a good friend! Smile

Compared to twitter (or social networking sites in general), I prefer Facebook. I just find it more organized. Its been very useful in finding/contacting long lost friends, relatives, old classmates etc.. But I guess it depends. I know of people that don't like it because there isn't any privacy really. It gets annoying with the tags and the never-ending status updates (i.e. people really don't need to know what you had for dinner, the fact that you don't like the color orange etc..). That kind of thing.

Laughing Citizen

Saellys wrote:
Unregistered wrote:

balls.
I don't do much with facebook, but a lot of people use it to keep in touch. It makes people easy to keep track of. I use it because there are some people I like to stay in touch with who ONLY communicate on FB. You want to see their vacation pics? don't expect them to bring 'em to the party, they assume everyone who cares already saw them on FB.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I don't expect people to bring their vacation pictures to parties anymore because in most cases, they took them with a digital camera and never bothered to have prints made. Razz

As for people who only communicate on Facebook, I've known a few myself, and yes, I lost touch with them when I deleted my Facebook. But I didn't consider it a major loss, since I already felt that communicating exclusively through Facebook puts one smack dab in the middle of crashing bore territory. They're probably paying a hundred bucks a month for a smartphone that lets them update their Facebook from anywhere; they might as well use the thing to talk now and then.

I'm sure your friends who only communicate through Facebook have e-mail addresses and phone numbers, and if you expressed a deeper interest in their lives through one of these methods, they would respond in kind.

Facebook has worked very hard to get a reputation for being the easiest way to keep track of all your friends, but even when I had one I found out far more about what was going on in my friends' lives through letters and phone calls than their status updates and notes. What Facebook actually does is provide a way for completely superficial information to reach all of your friends at once. I write and call five or six of my closest but most geographically distant friends because I care. Obviously I'm not going to do that with the other two hundred some-odd friends I used to have on Facebook, because a) it's a lot of work, and b) I was never close enough with any of them to warrant that kind of interest.

Smokemonster
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Classic case of blaming the medium instead of blaming the mediators. It's not the tool, it's how it's used. Facebook is innocuous. I get your point, but it's ironic that Toyota is using the same logic to sell SUVs in some very pointed adds meant to lambast 20 & 30 somethings that get as much fulfillment from online social activity as they do IRL social activity (perhaps because of the level of control & security one feels they have when interacting from a distance behind the curtain of cyberspace, editorializing the parts of their life they share?).

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Facebook is innocuous.

No entity that reserves the right to license any of its user's submitted content to third parties without notification or royalties can be considered innocuous.

But getting back to the actual point you were making, I don't see how I was blaming the medium instead of the mediators at all. People use Facebook because it's easy. Facebook has worked very hard to make it easy. I guess you could turn it into a chicken-or-egg question--did Facebook start with the intent of being the only way some people communicated with their so-called friends?

Answer: no, Facebook started with the intent to make money, which they make through advertising, which only works if lots and lots of people see it, which means they have to attract lots and lots of people by being the easiest way to communicate superficially with all our so-called friends. If millions of people didn't use it that way, Facebook wouldn't make money. So I guess you could say I blame superficial people for being superficial, and Facebook for making it easy.

I haven't seen the commercial you cited, but I don't see how it's relevant. My points are still valid, and I'm not saying this stuff to sell SUVs.

Smokemonster
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The commercials are good, poignant, and Ironic, because they are making the same case you are about social media. The irony is that they are using them to propose the hipper more lively retires don't really use that stuff, they have real lives and drive cool toyota cars will their young attractive kids base their lives on their computers. I think that's ironic, that they are coopting the issue of Facebook being superficial and delusionally fufilling to self a material item that has no merit on a person's social life outside of reliable transportation and the perception of social status.

And yeah, superficial people will be just that, and FB is no different than any other medium. That's all I'm saying.

happyface
Sea Post King

Joined: 23 Aug 2009 | Posts: 251 | Location: The Gold City, Puerto Rico
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Saellys/ Wil,

I've had the great facebook debate IRL more times than I can count.

Most of the arguments against seem to be predicated on the false dichotomy of either boycotting entirely or slurping the zuckerburg coolaid to the bottom of the cup and running your life in his nefarious little crucible in accordance with his schemes. The third option, that you can use it for your purposes in as much as it serves them and not give it any more than serves your needs seems to get overlooked. I think thats kind of what Wil is saying, right?