25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
I don't know
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Justin Hawkins, the lead singer/ guitarist had a serious drug problem if I recall. They put out a few albums, I think he tried a solo thing, and even might have been considered to front Queen or Zeppelin at some point, and maybe they got back together last year or the year before.

Xardu Hasselfro does a good David Byrne/ Rockwell impersonation of thoe GOTG Vol. 2 track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8guxsR0k_AU

But since that's not a video, and I am not really all there today, let's see what I can come up with while feeling nauseated.

The results? Having enjoyed this album, as pointed and jaded as it is, this video is on the nose. https://youtu.be/jsCR05oKROA and also fits the 80s vibe sonically. But that's what DM have done for 30+ years so why change?

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Boo spoiler. I didn't know the Hoff was in that.

Dio - Holy Diver
Dio is a level 90 Dark Elf Bard. His Death Dirge III is such a powerful debuff that he's soloing MOBs on the Silver Mountain just south of Witch's Valley with a broadsword and he hasn't even trained in 2H slash.

Are there any metal videos that are actually good. I can think of a few that are ok, but nothing great. Tool has some interesting, disturbing ones. My old, old favorites bands' videos are just stupid for the most part.
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

My bad on the soundtrack tip off.

As for metal, there are some cool videos out there, but seldom are those bands the popular ones, with a few exceptions. It's part of the ingrained culture of macabre silliness that comes with appealing to aggro teen energy and angst.

That said, Megadeth's Sweating Bullets was fun in its day, and I always dug The Memory Remains by Metallica.

I feel compelled to share something with Chris Cornell in it but I don't feel like crying given how much I was inspired by Soundgarden back in the day and followed his work after and upon returning...

So, hmmmph... what have I got? Alice In Chains Looking In View https://youtu.be/lr_tyst3SVE

The original view was Gulf War Themed, I don't remember it starting like this. Gonna have to watch it through to see if they ditched it for this, or I just forgot how it opened.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, Megadeth was what I was thinking of but I was leaning more towards A Tout Le Monde. Also Holy Wars, which is Gulf Warsyish.

As for Chris Cornell, it sucks. It's sad and stupid and surprising. It seems out of character to me but I don't know why. I don't know much about him really.
I always thought of him as being one of my favorite vocalists but then I only have 1 cd of his, SuperUnknown. Really awesome voice though.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I was a big fan of Chris's, but largely because of his work with Soundgarden & Audioslave. Soundgarden is an acquired taste outside of Superunknown because they can be really cerebral and counterintuitive at times.

Audioslave's songs that Chris wrote are some of his best and would have been great solo material, which his solo albums that needed those songs.

He always came off as really well adjusted, even though he was forthcoming about his own issues with substance abuse in the past, and emotional instability at times. His lyrics connected so well because he dealt with all those things and existential longing, so in a way, it was hard to read him. From what his wife says, his prescribed meds might have been a factor, as he may have taken an increased dose, and those side effects are worse than the condition sometimes...

We lost Joe Skyward last year, who played bass on one of my favorite albums to mediate my own moods when I need to shake being somber and melancholy, but want to embrace it as well. Pillars opens How It Feels To Be Something On, and there is no official video, but there is an semi-official live video, and it was/ is on Joe's channel. This was the only SDRE album he was on. He always struck me as a good soul. I sort of crossed his path at a Jeremy Enigk solo show for the World Waits tour, and it was like I recognized him but I couldn't tell where from. We acknowledged each other and I had the hardest time figuring out why he seemed so familiar. I only figured it out much later because back then I didn't even know what he looked like. It stuck with me, because he just had a presence about him. Me being 6' 8" and one of the few minorities at these kind of concerts, I was a magnet for gazes anyway, so I account any recognition I see in people's eyes on that. Anyways, after he passed, it was odd to find out that I had been listening to his music longer than I realized because he was in The Sky Cries Mary, which I got into for a while back in the day, not knowing he was in that band.

Anyway, https://youtu.be/QXhqOSeD64Q

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Audioslave - Like a Stone

We attempted to play this song in my old band. The bass was fine, I was fine on the drums and to my surprise the guitarist reproduced the lead very well. But there was something about the transition from verses to chorus that was really hard to get my voice to do. Difficult to find the right note coming in, or maybe the right octave. I can go from chorus to verse ok. I can sing along with him and do it. He sounds so good, laid back, it's seems so effortless for him.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

His ability to move from his baritone to his tenor, and falsetto was excellent. Singing all those high notes in the early days helped with his wind, and that's the key to making those major transitions so smoothly, breath control.

It also helps if you're only having to sing and not play anything else so you can concentrate. When I first started singing Down On The Upside was a favorite to sing along to, and Superunknown of course. Chris could completely change the way he sung so that he was incredibly smooth or soulful like Can't Change Me or Wave Goodbye on Euphoria Mourning, or project like singing a rock song over a serene ballad like he did on Sunshower. And then, he went full on Bon Scott on Cochise, and regardless it was instantly recognizable as Chris. The my favorite Audioslave songs didn't have videos. His slow numbers with them (Getaway Car, Heaven's Dead, Shadow of the Sun) would have worked on any Soundgarden or solo album as well. They were just stellar.

One of my classes was focused on public performance of oration, and for my recitation I picked this song because it carried me through so much, and it still resonates, and will always:

The Day I Tried To Live

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

A few months ago my brother asked me if I had heard of the band Lit. I was like "Lit? Yeah, from the 90's. Wait, we played one of their songs remember?" I started singing the chorus to "Miserable". He said "Hmm.. No it's a country band that has a new song out." I said "What? Lit? They can't use that name, it's already been used." I just now looked it up and it's the old Lit doing new country lol. I don't like it but whatever.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Well, in retrospect, Lit pioneered that Guy Fiore look back in the day, and he went on to be a quasi template for a lot of new-country rockers. Miserable was a solid follow up to their one hit, the one with the Kingpin (bowling) video... Speaking of bowling videos and songs I love (from bands who haven't gone country)

Band of Skulls - Bruises https://youtu.be/bBgSw4GstGs aka Pixies (maybe Breeders or Elastica to be more accurate) + Zeppelin = Cool

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Faith No More - I Started a Joke
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Blending the two last themes, Here's a video by a group known for Rap rock that features them playing a comical recreational sport https://youtu.be/lYHA_7vxrgc

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Hey this song is pretty good. Maybe a bit much. Sounds like it could be from the 70's, like Life On Mars or something. Harry Styles - Sign of the Times. It must be getting hugely overplayed if I've heard it 3 times while shopping.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Speaking of the radio, these are the songs I have been hearing on the radio recently that have caught my attention. There are a few good videos in the bunch, and not to be mean, but I have to say any of the ones I've heard recently I like more than that Harry Styles song. It's a nice homage to David Bowie, to the point of being uber derivative. I wasn't into one direction but one of their songs was requested by a student, and I actually really liked it, and it had a fun video.. Here that is

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

The Verve - The Drugs Don't Work
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Lorn - Acid Rain

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>