Laughing City
boyd
Eisleyoid

Hey. So, somewhere in the forum on one thread I think I mentioned that the band is finally, officially signed with Warner Brothers. (Smile I didn't want anyone to think I was hiding anything. I just don't like hype...and I didn't want to cry wolf, right? With the mythos of recapitulations of names and rumors of names for this band, I thought it would royally suck to have to retract something as magnanimously huge as this. ("we're signed - oops no we're not") Hope you all understood that.

Plus, people get wigged out when an indie band (yes...independent since their first show in '98 when Stacy was 9) signs with a national label. Guys, you're just going to have to trust that everything is normal, everything is fine. (code for you veterans) This band isn't bending, shifting or changing one girlie eyelash at the hands of any evil, darthlord, record label peeps. You have to trust that.

I know we've spent a great deal of time talking about how much we love Nettwerk Management - and trust me, there's more to tell...but I just wanted to yak a bit about WB in light of the news.

How can I put this? Warner Brothers Records is a beautiful thing. ...these people are so cool. This is not hype. I can honestly say that between this band, Nettwerk and the team at Warner Brothers, there is a high level of confidence, trust...just this genuine feeling that everyone "gets" this vision and respects it. (to raise confidence...look at their tract record with supporting the Flaming Lips over the years)

From the first time MossEisley showcased for WB in LA in December, there was this wonderful, unstoppable, relational connection. They practically stormed the stage after the band's last chord...tons of yammering and whispering and excitement; then Tom Walley (president) invited us all over to his house and we just all hung out for hours talking about values and music and what they believed in...why....how they saw the band, what they would do...etc. You just can't imagine the enthusiasm these guys have. I'm totally downplaying all this leaving out much hype.

Tom has great integrity in business as well as great passion for music - he absolutely loves the band. He started in the MAIL room, ok? (so did Dave Holmes at Nettwerk) Years later, after moving up, he left WB to start Interscope...and returned with a major success story under his belt. Most of his team is now made up of defectors from other labels because they all want to work for him. Worried about label mergers, bancruptcy? They were the only major label in the bus. last year that showed a profit. Most lost millions. One lost a billion.

Other cool people - this bands A&R guy, Craig Aaronson, signed Jimmy Eat World when he was at Capitol - and a small band before this - At the Drive in. He's now working with THIS unnamed band as well as others: "hot hot heat" and "the used". Craig is the most enthusiastic guy on the planet. He's flown down on numerous occasions just to come to a show (like Tree's) and he came to the Coldplay show in Dallas...and afterward hung out with us in Tyler, slept in the Power Puff room (like a baby he said) and went to the Vineyard with us...all because he wanted to understand and see for himself the culture...what it's like...just to understand the band and it's genesis even more. He's awesome. And Troy, who sorta discovered the band (was at the Door when Dave and Darin came down...that epic night) was with us during the entire Coldplay tour; He's the A&R for the Flaming Lips.

This is all natural and good. I just want everyone to understand what's happening. There's no transformation - no pop potion, no messing with who they are, what they look like or what they sound like. They all understand this band just needs to grow organically - by just getting out there and touring. They frequent the board and are blown away by you fans. They get a kick out of the posts and....after all are just normal, cool people who love cool music. And it'll be a while before a WB record comes out...like maybe by the end of the year. "the band" is already writing songs that will be on the full length.

For now the indie ep, "Laughing City" will be released soon. The band is working on final mixes, CD art and lots of other stuff we can talk about some other time. Take care everybody. Sorry it took so long to come out with a bit of reality.

boyd

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

woah, the people at warner bros records frequent the board??! HELLO WB GUYS. I'm Matt and I can sing and ... haha nevermind

sweetness boyd. God bless the efforts

Nocturnal Dave....
Sea Post King

ahh yes, it's like music to my ears, i'm so very happy for all of the mosseisley family, you guys have been a HUGE!! inspiration to me,
no serusly you have NO idea, from the first time i saw you at the san jac tim turly show back in june of 2002. your influence has changed the music i make forever, ya'll exposed me to radiohead, midlake, muse,
radiant, and well, mosseisley, duh.... i love you all......dave Very Happy

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO ALL.... Very Happy

boyd
Eisleyoid

WB rocks. Thanks nocdave. I know that was too much information...
inquisitive minds needed to know.

Nocturnal Dave....
Sea Post King

boyd wrote:
WB rocks. Thanks nocdave. I know that was too much information...
inquisitive minds needed to know.

i was hanging on every word.....

selfsame singer
Golly, Poster

Isn't that a lifehouse song?
Joined: 23 Dec 2002 | Posts: 719 | Location: Somewhere over the rainbow closest to Dallas...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kris
Ubernerd Moderator

i'm hangin by a moment here with youuuuu

i'm in a weird mood this morning...

pat kauchick
Sea Post King

I have read many posts on how Moss has affected or influenced people. Well, as you know I use to do a fair amount of live photography in the New Orleans area back in the late 80's-early 90's. When I read about Moss in late November it teased my curiosity. The next thing I know I'm out photographing again like 4 of there gigs now and would have done more if possible. They are a great inspiration for anyone who practices photography as an art. Anyone with an "eye" will see this.They could end up being one of the most photographed bands in years.Chauntelle has such a presence on stage and in the group photographs. I predict that she will attract the eye of movie people and will end up on film. Stacy has such a mystery about her on stage.You see her off in another world and wonder what the next expression will be when she returns.Sherri looks like a young Betty Davis.So, there you have it.What more could you ask for?
keyboardplayer
Golly, Poster

pat kauchick wrote:
I have read many posts on how Moss has affected or influenced people. Well, as you know I use to do a fair amount of live photography in the New Orleans area back in the late 80's-early 90's. When I read about Moss in late November it teased my curiosity. The next thing I know I'm out photographing again like 4 of there gigs now and would have done more if possible. They are a great inspiration for anyone who practices photography as an art. Anyone with an "eye" will see this.They could end up being one of the most photographed bands in years.Chauntelle has such a presence on stage and in the group photographs. I predict that she will attract the eye of movie people and will end up on film. Stacy has such a mystery about her on stage.You see her off in another world and wonder what the next expression will be when she returns.Sherri looks like a young Betty Davis.So, there you have it.What more could you ask for?

not to make you feel your age or anything....
but who's betty davis???

good words though....the un-named band is VERY photogenic.

Joined: 06 Nov 2002 | Posts: 743 | Location: there are places i remember.....
selfsame singer
Golly, Poster

Either for every shoot they have billions of pictures taken or they really are photogenic. I have never seen a crappy picture of them.
Joined: 23 Dec 2002 | Posts: 719 | Location: Somewhere over the rainbow closest to Dallas...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
boyd
Eisleyoid

woah...she does look like Betty Davis....only cuter. Betty always played these twisted parts right? Like Mommy Dearest? Sherri is SORTA like a Betty Davis withOUT the daunting, haunting scowl.. - or she sorta looks like a regular girl if the light just hits her right. Of course, i'm not old enough to remember BD...I just remember my folks knew of her and that era. (I'm not joking....but we always watched old movies when these eisley kids were young.)

btw...thanks Pat for the Paul McArtney glossy. ok ya'll....this guy has been shooting famous rock bands since the 70's. He has connections with Rolling Stone, ok? So don't mess with him. You'll have the oldmighty boyd's nostrals flare up and my yetti teeth will chomp down on your tiny, tiny alphabets. JUST KIDDING!!!!!Twisted Evil

but...that's nice for him to say kind words about these unusually normal indie geeks that live with me.

Jeff
Sea Post King

[quote="pat kauchick"] Stacy has such a mystery about her on stage.You see her off in another world and wonder what the next expression will be when she returns.[quote]

I dont know about that. I think she is straining to hear herself over the rest of the music. It takes much consentration to stay on pitch over stage noise. She does a really great job, better than I could do.

Stacy is a genius. I mean, she's one bloody good songwriter...especially for her age. Just listen to "Blackened Crown." She wrote that when she was eight years old. EIGHT!!!! her lyrics have depth and sophistication that I have rarely seen in an artist so young. While most eight year olds write about stuff that would seem irrelevant to the average mature individual, her lyrics use many deep poetic techniques to evoke a particular emotion in the listener. Some of the metaphors, rhyme schemes, alliteration, and revision, which are commonly used in her lyrics, are simply brilliant. Take that raw talent and give it a few years of maturity and experience and what you have is a master-craftsman. I dont know how she does it. She is obviously filled with much complexity, she would have to be for all that raw emotion to pour out of her soul in the brilliant manor that it does. I admire Stacy as a writer, and also as a kindhearted individual who displays a genuine love for her craft, as well as for other people.
Major props to Stacy for the images and words that run deep in her mind and capitvate all who hear them and experience the genius of a 14 year old girl who is mature far beyond her years, and is creative beyond all telling. I just thought I would lend a few words of encouragement.

peace,
Jeff

Nocturnal Dave....
Sea Post King

that was a really nice post...i agree with jeff, stacys musical ability at a young age blows my mind, she's the future of rock "n" roll...
..when i was 8 years old my biggest goal in life, was to get through the day with as few spankin's as possible, while still causeing as much trouble as possible...geez i was a brat, ahh yes the winds of change.....i still play cowboys and indians every now and then... :wink:hmmm

kris
Ubernerd Moderator

i was about to start babbling about myself at age eight, but i really don't think anyone cares. lol...

stacy amazes me.
all of the duprees do.

boyd
Eisleyoid

Both girls work together like...I dunno, Lenon/McArtney...(not trying to ambitiously engrandize) really - both of them write lyrics and both write melodies, but...Sherri is majority lyricist and Stacy is majority melody. Together, you have the unusual beauty of a chorus like, "Sun Feet" or "Laughing City" or "Mr Pine". Both are joined at the brainstem.

Credit due however - what do you have without the driving guitar riffs Chauntelle writes like on "Mr. Pine"...and the song about the toys...and "head against the sky" and on and on...and what about the very calulated rhythms that Weston and Jon lay down?...dang...some of them are so amazing...weird. I'm just being objective... I think Weston has buttloads of God-given originality...and, he's 16. Listen to Pablo Honey and then Kid A. (omg...the growth) Also, I'm a drummer and often work on other music with Jon. I've played with great jazz/funk bassists...but nobody locks in with the kick like Jon. and...he's had no training and hasn't even been playing that long. His bass melodies kill. I'm serious. Don't think of me as somebody's dad...just bantering about his offspring. You can ask them...I'm a pretty tough critic.

So, you guys are so wonderful... and thanks for all the kudos for the baby-girl wonder..., because I think her melodies are mind-bending and are key to everything about their sound....but it's still the collective ethos that makes it happen. a freak combination? u'z rOck.