2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Doesn't matter, I don't like to associate myself with a particular one
45%
 45%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 35

mere::surmise
Sea Post King

It seems that there are a number of devout Christians on the board, so those of you who are, and even those who aren't, I'd like to hear your opinions on the denominations of the Christian church.

I'm pretty sure there are well over 2000 denominations in the church.

To me, I truly believe this is disgusting. I have friends who are Roman Catholics, and they treat Catholocism as another religion. This is not what Christ taught, and it is splitting the church apart. Some people believe that their denomination is the only right one. This is also disgusting to me.

It's hard to escape it, though. Even non-denominational churches are somewhat a denomination.

What do you all think. I'd particularly like to hear Kimbrtones opinion (please?)

{visuals}
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

Eh, I don't really like religion. All of the beliefs, only so much of it can be true... so I figure of all the religions, why take a guess and believe one? I just don't really believe in anything.

I believe in God, though. Everything is so logical on this planet that there must be a god. Plus, the earth couldn't have just popped out of nowhere... where did it come from? Where did ANYTHING come from? Where does space end? Those things make me believe in God.

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
ZooeyGlass
Lost at Forum

I'm a Baptist with "reformed" tendencies... which - I think - would make me Presbyterian... well, almost... I still call myself Baptist.
Vegetable
Vintage Newbie

I think it´s confusing...

I really don´t like religion at all... it´s a messy institution

Visit my Pic Album!
Joined: 17 Jul 2003 | Posts: 3973 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

ugh....not again

this thread is just asking for trouble seeing as some many people on here have differing views and are so passionate about those views.It's been done to death on here and always ends up badly.

Last edited by homesick_alien on Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

Haha sorry if I offend anyone by this but I just thought about it:

I have a really religous friend and we used to talk about religion at lunch... so one day he made me mad and I called him "God" in hopes he would take it (jokingly, of course) offendingly. And he would laugh about it at first, because it's quite silly- trying to make someone angry by calling them God. Until one day it began to make him angry and I stopped.

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
joseph
Lost at Forum

You'd do well to take note that many denominations are that, only for cultural preferences. Take for instance the Church of Christ denomination, which does not use instruments to praise God. That's fine and dandy if that's your preference, but it's only that.

I am dismayed that Roman Catholics mainly treat other Christians as separate. Yet, a friend of mine, who is Catholic, does not see me as apart, but rather as a brother. So, one can't speak of the Catholic Church in entirety.

I call myself a Christian. I don't let the Truth be spoon fed to me. I seek it, discern it, and pray for the understanding of it, and for faith in it when understanding isn't clear. But, if you want to know, I attend a Baptist church.

Oh, and contrary to stereotype, we love to dance.

**the turtle stamp of approval**

www.soulstrum.com
Sea Post King

haha, we all like to dance sometimes.

to clear up - i was not profiling or generalizing the Catholic church itself, i just know some catholics who separate themselves arrogantly from other Christians. i have other Catholic friends who are amazing people.

{visuals}
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Vegetable
Vintage Newbie

arguments about church and religion and god will become so frecuent that everyone will just get bored and give up
they´ll go like:
(dramatization)

Bobby: "say... Timmy... if there´s a god, why did my dog got hit by a truck? he was a good dog, he never made a mess on the carpet, he never smelled people´s butts! why?? why?? where´s god??"

Timmy: "hey, you know what, forget it, alright? I´m not catolic anymore, there´s no god. Are you happy now?? huh?? huh??"

Bobby: "oh that´s very mature, Timmy. That´s how you solve your problemas? huh? you know what, I think you´re a wuss"

Timmy: "what´s that?? what did you JUST say??"

Bobby: "I say you´re a wuss"

Timmy: "That´s it, I´ve had it with you, science-boy! You wanna see god, I´ll kill you, you ***** *********** ***** ***** ****** ***** ***!!!!!"

*fight*

- in the end, Tmmy´s friends joined the fight, and so did Bobby´s friends, and so the friends of their friends, and the friends of the friends of the friends, and so on, until they all killed each other.
and that´s the story of how the human race reached it´s end, TXR-130.

- thanks, RGL-465, that was a wonderful story

[/robot conversation]

Visit my Pic Album!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sea Post King

homesick_alien wrote:
ugh....not again

this thread is just asking for trouble seeing as some many people on here have differing views and are so passionate about those views.It's been done to death on here and always ends up badly.

sorry, i've never seen anything on here specifically about denominations.
look man, if you don't like the thread, you dont have to post on it.

{visuals}
twinstar
Sea Post King

I grew up in a Charismatic home, where all my life I was taught that Catholics were not Christians. I married into a Catholic family, (low and behold, they believe almost exactly everything I was taught to believe as a child) and they are the most welcoming, open-minded people ever. They see all Christians the same, Catholic or Protestant, all different branches of the same basic belief system. So basically, my point is that you'll get people being all exclusive on both sides.
" If we had done as the kings told us five hundred years ago, we should all have been slaves. If we had done as the priest told us, we should all have been idiots. If we had done as the doctors told us, we should all have been dead. We have been saved by disobedience. We have been saved by the splendid thing called independence, and I want to see more of it. I want to see children raised so that they have it." Robert Ingersoll

www.xanga.com/elephantheart
Joined: 11 Jan 2003 | Posts: 267 | Location: Arlington, Texas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Euphoria
Laughing Citizen

I don't like the fact that this thread automatically assumes that everyone on these boards is Christian.

No really, I'm serious.
Joined: 25 Jan 2004 | Posts: 1546 | Location: Look under your bed...
Vegetable
Vintage Newbie

Euphoria wrote:
I don't like the fact that this thread automatically assumes that everyone on these boards is Christian.

No really, I'm serious.

hahahaha you see what I mean??
that´s perfect to start a fight, just PERFECT! Laughing
if somebody is not in a very good mood, something like this will happen:

- what, you don´t like it?? no one is pointing a gun at you, if you don´t like it, THERE´S THE DOOR!!!!!!!! GET THE HELL OUTTA MY ******* SIGHT!!

- oh yeah? I´m gonna KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *grabs an axe*

*fight*

Visit my Pic Album!
Sea Post King

Euphoria wrote:

No really, I'm serious.

and i quote,
It seems that there are a number of devout Christians on the board, so those of you who are, and even those who aren't, I'd like to hear your opinions on the denominations of the Christian church.

'a number' is a far cry from 'everyone'

guys - i just wanted to hear some opinions
what i dont like is how some of you are mad about interest in a topic; i think we can handle this as the mature people we are. if you dont agree with the thread, dont post. its simple.

{visuals}
sendoutSOScalls
Laughing Citizen

I'm Roman Catholic...
i believe in a lot of it and like what it stands for i guess but i also disagree with a lot of it.....but i dont think about it too much

http://www.last.fm/user/Untitled_9/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/86438423@N00/
Joined: 13 Jun 2004 | Posts: 1749 | Location: In the courtyard waiting on the breeze to float after me

goto page
 | next >>