Laughing City
HayesUT
Sea Post King

Exactly Icurate: the point of a hit radio single is to get people to buy the album. I am sure every one of you has bought atleast one album because of a good single and found an incredible band. Is it not entirely possible that the challenge of writing a hit song will bring improvement? It is a difficult task, but if you can accomplish that, the sky is the limit. This same thing is asked of every "up and coming" band. I have some friends in the process of releasing an independent album through Ardent Studios in Memphis and even they are under the pressure of producing a hit song (sans Coldplay tour, etc.)......

It seems like the music business these days is about proving that your band can last and then being given the artistic freedom to dig a little deeper. I have never been in the situation, so I cannot say first hand, but I would think it would be worth something that a record company has enough faith in a band that it thinks the band can make asong that caters to the tastes of millions of people.......

--ten cents, my two cents is free

BK
Laughing Citizen

boyd wrote:
(hit the fan?)

I don't think it would be a good idea to hit a fan, you don't want a lawsuit. Wink Razz

Sea Post King

ugh i don't quite understand why they want to replace existing songs... eisley songs are on average around 3:30, so if there were 14 songs you would still have an album less than 50 minutes. that's less than the length of many albums that don't really seem that long. e.g. a rush of blood to the head, vespertine, ok computer, turn on the bright lights, the list goes on forever.... i think restricting the song count to 10 or 11 would be a mistake, especially since there are brief songs like 'just like we do' and (possibly) 'lady of the wood'.

there is a delicate balance between making an album too long and making it too short. i think parachutes, for example, errs on the too short side, and there are of course plenty of examples of albums that run on too long (any of the later smashing pumpkins albums). if there were less than 14 songs on hail to the thief, it would have been too short. i really don't know at what number the balance is for eisley's LP, since i haven't seen the whole picture, but from what i've heard my guess would be that the mood of the songs lend themselves to a more lengthy album, to round out a more epic feel.... know what i mean?? in any case, i haven't even heard the produced tracks, so as usaual i'm talking out of my ass.

berlies_
Lost at Forum

well im glad lost at sea is being considered as a single....its probably my favorite song....its just super catchy
ideal
Sea Post King

i think "i wasn't prepared" is the best option for single from the list boyd mentioned, but i haven't heard "brightly wound" or "i slowly floated away". from the eisley catalogue, however, i would say the best option for single is definitely "sunfeet". is the reason why this is not under consideration the lyrics? i really dislike this thing wherein the lyrics have to speak to a super-broad audience in order for the song to be single-worthy. it's all over the place in songs that are released as singles, now that i think of it. it makes perfect sense from the point of view of insnaring the average listener whose attention is only caught by clearly enunciated lyrics that s/he can relate to, but for christ's sake it's so irritating that such is the state of affairs. this is why i would simply suggest "i wasn't prepared", which has lyrics that are quite simple but still has a melody that reveals there is more going on in the song than the simplicity of the lyrics. that is why "i wasn't prepared" is a great option for single: accomplishes the double whammy of appealing mass audience while intriguing the more serious music listener. this is always the song i present first to new people, and it always captivates them and/or strikes them as hauntingly beautiful.
TiMisVeryClassy
Sea Post King

Such stimulating and educated conversations... I love it.

Personally, I think "Marvelous things" would be the guaranteed hit. It's what got me. So I stand by that song 100 percent. Although ideal has a great point with "Sunfeet" and an even better one for "I wasn't prepared", marvelous things, to me is a song beyond all description. To this day, any attempt at describing the song is an insult to beauty and greatness of it. Words would only dimes the infinite abyss of art and wonder that is "Marvelous things." Or maybe it's just me.

But sadly, the mainstream market is filled with fakes and people who find it 'trendy' to hate the trend. Isn't it funny how suddenly bands like Modest Mouse, who've been around for awhile is only now getting they're much deserved fame? Where as bands like Incubus, who used to be a very terrible quasi-metal band, is now the heart-throb band of bands? I honestly just don't know where I'm going with this. Same as mainstream music today. It doesn't know what's going' on anymore. Because let's face it... When you pull-up to a stoplight and on one side, you hear a car blasting Trapt and the other side is blasting Chingy, and the guy crossing the street is sporting a Yellowcard shirt, and the girl at the bus stop is wearing a Linkin Park shirt... Something is seriously wrong somewhere.

So here's what I think. Sink or swim. Do or die. Release the song. Release the album. See what happens. Someone will always be listening. A majority of the bands I love are either dead or dying (metaphorically speaking). That doesn't stop me or my friends from listening. Most bands die because of break-ups. I don't think Eisley could ever break-up. They're friends/family first. Band mates second.

I apologize if my input isn't nearly as informative or insightful as everyone else's but to tell you the truth... Speculate all we want. You never what'll happen until the deed has been done. But I do think Eisley WILL make it big. Keep on rockin'.

"To cheating, stealing, fighting and drinking... When you cheat, may you cheat death. When you steal, may you steal a woman's heart. When you fight, may you fight for a brother and when you drink, may you drink with me!"

http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/TiMisveryclassy/
Last edited by TiMisVeryClassy on Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
RhymeloveandMelody
Lost at Forum

yes tim is very classy! is that your real name? anyways yes i also think MARVELOUS THINGS is a guaranteed hit. i love that song and the video is amazing. If they would just show it, more people would know about Eisley. Because i don't think it has anything to do with thier songs not being good enough for radio. The band writes beautiful music that i no doubt believe people would embrace. They just need to be more known.

Joined: 16 Jan 2004 | Posts: 1152 | Location: San Benito, Texas
boyd
Eisleyoid

i'm so far behind. can' keep my eyes open but tomorrow, i must read this all... juicy stuff, i can tell; it's long.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists