Laughing City
oliez
Vintage Newbie

I was checking out some magazines at Hastings (looking for the new Harp) and it made me feel good to see "EISLEY" on the cover. So I picked that up and started lookking at some others and sure enough on the new HM there was another "EISLEY" on the cover. It has a one page article with the elevator picture in black and white on the other side. Also in the new Paste the album is in a advertisment for Barnes and Noble (with a few sentences about them) and then they have a (great) review in the back.

There is also a pretty good review in Under the Radar.

also, in the new Harp is a short blurb about Autumn De Wilde and her shoot with Eisley. on page 14.
Catey
Lost at Forum

Reading review in Kerrang Magazine [UK]

"Imagine the Olsen twins were triplets fronting a band with a couple of bored rent-a-dudes on rhythm, playing the kind of music that soundtracks a million teen movie romances and you've pretty much got Texans, EISLEY (K). They nervously struggle through an embarrassingly weak set of pedestrian rock that while pretty, is ultimately vacent."
Joined: 02 Aug 2005 | Posts: 1086 | Location: Essex, England
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Catey wrote:
Reading review in Kerrang Magazine [UK]

"Imagine the Olsen twins were triplets fronting a band with a couple of bored rent-a-dudes on rhythm, playing the kind of music that soundtracks a million teen movie romances and you've pretty much got Texans, EISLEY (K). They nervously struggle through an embarrassingly weak set of pedestrian rock that while pretty, is ultimately vacent."

This coming from the magazine that rates in stutters. "k-k-k-k-k ..."

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

ugh...^ is why I stay away from the review thread.
Jackasses like that get freakin' paid to say horrible things about peoples lives and careers. Rolling Eyes
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Kimbrtones wrote:
Jackasses like that get freakin' paid to say horrible things about peoples lives and careers. Rolling Eyes

Yeah. I can't tell that the person even paid attention or did any research. But even if the person just passionately hates Eisley, it's good to remember the big picture in cases like this. This dude is clearly in the minority.

Edit: Isn't Kerrang mostly a metal magazine anyway? I hate when nichey magazines review something outside of the niche just so they can bash it. "Look how cool we are!"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
o0ohellosunshine
Sea Post King

i found the first review in quebec. in a magazine called 7 jours, they said something like "when you hear the voices of the members of eisley, you could think that theyre from ireland. If you want to find them, you would have to look in texas. Their indie pop sound is catchy and way more rock and gripping than on their first album, and their melodies are seductives. The element that is the most catchy is the combinations of the voices of stacy and sherri dupree. The harmonies are perfect and the sonorities give a timeless side. Eisley deserves to be known, even if its just because its good to hear a differant kind of pop

4 stars / 5. "

sorry for my translation, the article was in french. but its the mos tpopular french magazine here, so its really cool!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
oliez
Vintage Newbie

i wonder what show Kerrang was talking about.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Kimbrtones wrote:

100%

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Catey
Lost at Forum

TheAntrider wrote:
Kimbrtones wrote:

Yeah. I can't tell that the person even paid attention or did any research. But even if the person just passionately hates Eisley, it's good to remember the big picture in cases like this. This dude is clearly in the minority.

Edit: Isn't Kerrang mostly a metal magazine anyway? I hate when nichey magazines review something outside of the niche just so they can bash it. "Look how cool we are!"

Kerrang is a rock magazine but because Eisley happened to be second on the Carling stage at Reading then they got reviewed by someone who obviously cannot think outside of the mainstream box.

And doesn't care for different things that aren't being shoved down the UK's throat via NME.

The review really anoyed me because none of that is true...and since when did the Olsen twins become the only sisters in the world who are famous.
Catey
Lost at Forum

Sorry for double post but I just found the biggest contradition in Kerrang EVER. On one of the gig review pages in a little column there is a review of Eisley's Orlando show and it got 5 K's [excellent] so..

"Tragic beauties from Texas cast a powerful spell.
The perfect long blonde hair and picture pretty faces of Eisley's female members may not seem like they belong within these pages, but delve beyond the popstar good looks of this Texas band and all becomes clear.
A five-piece family outfit - three girls and two boys, four siblings and one cousin - they play melodic but haunting, beautiful but talented songs. Two of the members - Sherri and Chauntelle - are romanticlly tied, respectively, to New Found Glory's Chad Gilbert and Taking Back Sunday's Adam Lazzara. In addition to those two bands, Eisley have also hit the road with Brand New, Hot Hot Heat and erm..Coldplay. But don't hold the latter againt them - live, this quintet are heart-stoppingly skin-tingingly incredible.
The girls' voices are as angelic as they are disturbing, pich-perfect, amazingly so, in fact - that their harmonies full of spectral sorrow and a deep-routed despair. Their songs are much more enticing onstage than they are on record, the girls even more beautiful in the flesh than they are on the CD sleeves. They create their own dark, painful world, a lost America whose dusty towns are full of ghosts, lost souls and forgotten dreams. Inhabited only by these live doomed beings. The pleading hurtful desperation of Telescope Eyes, in particular is almost too much to take. They may not be loud, but Eisley are utterly tragic and even more mesmorising."

A LOT better than the Reading one, no?
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Catey wrote:
Sorry for double post but I just found the biggest contradition in Kerrang EVER. On one of the gig review pages in a little column there is a review of Eisley's Orlando show and it got 5 K's [excellent] so..

The perfect long blonde hair and picture pretty faces of Eisley's female members may not seem like they belong within these pages, but delve beyond the popstar good looks of this Texas band and all becomes clear.
A five-piece family outfit - three girls and two boys, four siblings and one cousin - they play melodic but haunting, beautiful but talented songs. Two of the members - Sherri and Chauntelle - are romanticlly tied, respectively, to New Found Glory's Chad Gilbert and Taking Back Sunday's Adam Lazzara. In addition to those two bands, Eisley have also hit the road with Brand New, Hot Hot Heat and erm..Coldplay. But don't hold the latter againt them - live, this quintet are heart-stoppingly skin-tingingly incredible.
The girls' voices are as angelic as they are disturbing, pich-perfect, amazingly so, in fact - that their harmonies full of spectral sorrow and a deep-routed despair. Their songs are much more enticing onstage than they are on record, the girls even more beautiful in the flesh than they are on the CD sleeves. They create their own dark, painful world, a lost America whose dusty towns are full of ghosts, lost souls and forgotten dreams. Inhabited only by these live doomed beings. The pleading hurtful desperation of Telescope Eyes, in particular is almost too much to take. They may not be loud, but Eisley are utterly tragic and even more mesmorising."

Laughing Wow. Nice.

brighterthansunshine
Sea Post King

Hey! Right now, I'm finishing my last semester at OU, and we have one of our most popular student publications, Boydstreet (coincidence? you decide), that features music reviews, movie reviews, Norman night life, etc. Well they publish it about twice a month, and in their latest issue they actually did a short review of Combinations. It's pretty big considering they only review 3-4 albums per issue. Here's how it went:

"While it's easy to distinguish what some musicians bring in any given song (see: Flea, Timbaland), the familial bond between the members of Eisley cause quite the opposite - these kids are totally a unit. Historically, the band's focus has been feminine vocal tracks arpeggiating across eerie guitars and synths.

Although Combinations sticks to the formula, there's something more mature at work here. The instrumentation is a lot harder; it's more reminiscent of a "real" rock band than of what it used to be - a bunch of siblings writing about the torment of youth and imagination. The best part of Combinations is that Eisley finally sounds less like a group of creepy nerds and more like a bona fide indie rock band."
pazatronix!
Lost at Forum

brighterthansunshine wrote:
Hey! Right now, I'm finishing my last semester at OU, and we have one of our most popular student publications, Boydstreet (coincidence? you decide), that features music reviews, movie reviews, Norman night life, etc. Well they publish it about twice a month, and in their latest issue they actually did a short review of Combinations. It's pretty big considering they only review 3-4 albums per issue. Here's how it went:

"While it's easy to distinguish what some musicians bring in any given song (see: Flea, Timbaland), the familial bond between the members of Eisley cause quite the opposite - these kids are totally a unit. Historically, the band's focus has been feminine vocal tracks arpeggiating across eerie guitars and synths.

Although Combinations sticks to the formula, there's something more mature at work here. The instrumentation is a lot harder; it's more reminiscent of a "real" rock band than of what it used to be - a bunch of siblings writing about the torment of youth and imagination. The best part of Combinations is that Eisley finally sounds less like a group of creepy nerds and more like a bona fide indie rock band."

that's a funny review. Laughing
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

TheAntrider wrote:
Kimbrtones wrote:

It is, yeah. Well, metal and "emo" Rolling Eyes I wouldn't put much stock in what they say, it's hardly like their readers are Eisley's target audience. Besides, I can't ever take them seriously, gauging their taste by who they gave the "Best Band On The Planet" award to...
Vintage Newbie

Catey wrote:

That's hilarious, in large part because they still can't write. Unless "romanticlly," "againt," "pich," and "mesmorizing" were your typos. Wink I'd hate to think someone got paid for those words.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...