Laughing City
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Pitch-shifting and auto-rhythmic correction processes are very disconcerting to me. Up until the mid 20th century, people could easily tell if you were a musician or not. Now, the lines are highly blurred with digital editing processes. I believe that one of the most important aspects of human art is that is it a distinctly unique medium. Would you want a painting drawn by a robot?

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Would you want a painting drawn by a robot?

What kind of robot?

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Mooncutter wrote:
guitargirl wrote:
I'm sure (or at least I thought I was) that the vocals on Marvelous Things from the MT EP and Room noises are different. I only need to hear "I (a)woke the dawn" to be able to tell that they're different, (in the first Stacy sounds younger, and in the second she sounds older). Maybe I'm crazy. Question

You're not hearing things, there's a big difference

No. There's really not. The vocals are the EXACT same recording. The mix is a bit different, but that's it.

Can I please get someone to back me up on this?

guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

Mooncutter wrote:
guitargirl wrote:
I'm sure (or at least I thought I was) that the vocals on Marvelous Things from the MT EP and Room noises are different. I only need to hear "I (a)woke the dawn" to be able to tell that they're different, (in the first Stacy sounds younger, and in the second she sounds older). Maybe I'm crazy. Question

You're not hearing things, there's a big difference, but it all boils down to production. I like the EP version best, personally. That Rhodes, man Very Happy

Thanks for backing me up...to me, in the EP version, Stacy sounds calm, relaxed, unexcited, and dreamlike. in the Room Noises version, she sounds more urgent and like she has "been given the creeps" if you will (but not bad, that's not what I'm saying). I hear a younger Stacy in the EP version...I hear the same difference in vocals between the EP Memories and Room Noises Memories with Marvelous Things(not the arrangement of the song of course) I've never thought that they were the same...
I pay really close attention to vocals when I listen to music (they're the most important part of music that has vocals, to me)...Could the production have really changed how the song was sung? I feel like the transition from note to note was different too... Question I can just see me being wrong and feeling like a complete idiot...
Confused (haha)

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
crazeemunkeyz
Laughing Citizen

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Would you want a painting drawn by a robot?

actually...that'd be pretty cool..but only because i could tell people it was painted by a robot.
..but i know that's not your point at all...haha
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Listen to the first ten seconds of each back to back right now. The EP version is notably louder, but that's about it.
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

JBaker wrote:
Listen to the first ten seconds of each back to back right now. The EP version is notably louder, but that's about it.

I have, and many times. Sad

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Ach, forum's being whacky tonight.
Last edited by JBaker on Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

I distinctly remember reading when the album was released that it was the only song not re-recorded for the album.

Look at the back of the MT EP. Marvelous Things is listed as "Produced and Recorded by Aaron Sprinkle."

Now, on the back of RN, Marvelous Things is listed as "Produced by Aaron Sprinkle."

The version on the MT EP is mixed by JR McNeely, while the entirety of RN is mixed by Jerry Finn. That's why they sound slightly different.

fernster
Sea Post King

eisley are all robots their not even real!!
its all one big TV program!!!!aaaaaaaaahhh

BOYD is not real either...he for sure is a robot or at least some kind of alien from somewhere else

ZenArtist
Golly, Poster

what really bothers me is the chord cluster at 1:37 in the not to be named version of the I wasn't prepared video. which doesn't appear on any other version of IWP

i think the joke here is that you change a little note on the video version of the song so the video's version, is in fact, yet another version.
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

[quote="CUBSWINWORLDSERIE Songs will change as bands go in different directions musically, etc... and their sound changes.

When I first listened to Combinations I didn't know what to think. Maybe I expected to hear another Room Noises. But it was a whole new fascinating and wonderful CD. Great bands are constantly evolving. that's one of the things that makes them great!

StuartBuck
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
I disagree completely, at least with the implication that this is the reason in every case. The Room Noises versions of songs took some getting used to, sure, but it goes much deeper than that and I think you missed the point of that thread. Luke (theenvycorps) was talking about production quality, not the pace of "Telescope Eyes" or the way other rerecorded songs differed from their early versions. There was a lot of tension in the studio over the recording of Room Noises and the band was passed around between several producers who didn't know them well and didn't have the same vision for their sound. As a consequence many songs ended up sounding slick when they should have sounded sparse ("Lost at Sea") and the album as a whole was very disjointed. The problem is not that some people heard the early recordings first; the problem is that much of Room Noises was simply not true to Eisley.

I hear what you're saying. Sounds like there's a whole background there that I wasn't really aware of.

At the same time, from my perspective, I just can't convince my ears that Room Noises is "not true to Eisley" -- in my aesthetic experience, Room Noises just IS the classic Eisley sound. After listening to that album (and not the EPs) for the past three years, I can't hear it any other way.

At least not right now. Maybe if I set aside Room Noises for a few months and just listened to the EPs, my perspective would change (just like C.S. Lewis eventually got used to the sound of a real orchestra).
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Pitch-shifting and auto-rhythmic correction processes are very disconcerting to me. Up until the mid 20th century, people could easily tell if you were a musician or not. Now, the lines are highly blurred with digital editing processes. I believe that one of the most important aspects of human art is that is it a distinctly unique medium. Would you want a painting drawn by a robot?

here is poetry written by a "robot"

http://www.kurzweilcyberart.com/

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

guitargirl wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
guitargirl wrote:

You're not hearing things, there's a big difference, but it all boils down to production. I like the EP version best, personally. That Rhodes, man Very Happy

Thanks for backing me up...to me, in the EP version, Stacy sounds calm, relaxed, unexcited, and dreamlike. in the Room Noises version, she sounds more urgent and like she has "been given the creeps" if you will (but not bad, that's not what I'm saying). I hear a younger Stacy in the EP version...I hear the same difference in vocals between the EP Memories and Room Noises Memories with Marvelous Things(not the arrangement of the song of course) I've never thought that they were the same...
I pay really close attention to vocals when I listen to music (they're the most important part of music that has vocals, to me)...Could the production have really changed how the song was sung? I feel like the transition from note to note was different too... Question I can just see me being wrong and feeling like a complete idiot...
Confused (haha)

When I first heard the RN version I definitely could hear a difference, like you said, she sounded more creeped/freaked out. Listen how she says "rabbit" she stretches it out more in RN. I bought the video off of itunes and it looks like they changed it from the MT version to the RN version too. Of course I could be insane but just listen to the "rabbit" I tells ya.. just listen to the "rabbit."

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX