Laughing City
WindFromTheOcean
Golly, Poster

rox_my_sox wrote:
this one especially inspires me:

sherri, you are cute.

"As an artist... I feel that we must try many things - but above all, we must dare to fail. You must have the courage to be bad - to be willing to risk everything to really express it all..."
Joined: 16 Aug 2007 | Posts: 948 | Location: Cebu Rock City, Philippines baby!!
emilytheanteater
Sea Post King

vivalaspopie wrote:
patrock wrote:
How can someone eat with their mouth closed?

extreme suction

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

I really like this one of the new handful:

Looks like, I dunno, a still from Southwestern Suburban Spy Show? Very emo-mysterious. Very Happy

WindFromTheOcean
Golly, Poster

^^the coat is dashing!

"As an artist... I feel that we must try many things - but above all, we must dare to fail. You must have the courage to be bad - to be willing to risk everything to really express it all..."
Joined: 16 Aug 2007 | Posts: 948 | Location: Cebu Rock City, Philippines baby!!
gundamit
Golly, Poster

grain thrower wrote:
I really like this one of the new handful:

Looks like, I dunno, a still from Southwestern Suburban Spy Show? Very emo-mysterious. Very Happy
I'm thinking the green mini-van accessory really sets the coat off though.

+1 for Sherri's photography.
-1 for Sherri quashing the rumor about Stacy's lactose intolerance. Wink

Vintage Newbie

gundamit wrote:

whatchu talkin' about, Willis?

mermaidentwined
Sea Post King

I'd really like to see Sherri take some B&W or sepia photos (kinda like the WW2 ones she took)- who knows what amazing shots would result? She has inspired me too- her style is so unique! I want a holga!! Very Happy
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
gundamit wrote:

whatchu talkin' about, Willis?

Check her post earlier in the thread. Wink

Yeah, just as I was organizing a "We Won't Stand For Lactose Intolerance" march with Stacy slated as the keynote speaker too...

mermaidentwined wrote:
I'd really like to see Sherri take some B&W or sepia photos (kinda like the WW2 ones she took)- who knows what amazing shots would result? She has inspired me too- her style is so unique! I want a holga!! Very Happy

I too am impressed by her eye for period detail, some of those photos just feel like they're from another era.

jasperGirl
Sea Post King

grain thrower wrote:
Since I don't have a Flickr account, I'll say here how this is absolutely the best photograph, a perfect balance of funny and sad.

"Taken with phone.
Stacy holding a box of SOYJOY bars and staring saddly
(sic) at the ice cream."
http://flickr.com/photos/photostoshare1/2503458171/

They invented the word 'forlorn' to describe Stacy's body language. Sad It must've been sweltering out there in Arizona, and I can feel her conflict between discipline and desire through her pigeon-toed posture. Then there's the mocking sign right above the friggin' ice cream section admonishing you to "EAT WELL"! How cruel is that?!? Twisted Evil

Anyway, I love Sherri's photos and I just had to comment on this one and show people here who might not have seen it.

Who says she's sad? She could very well get ice cream and soy joy bars... Like people who get a big mac with a diet coke... A little bit o health and a little bit o sweet. Although, I wouldn't depict diet coke as health, but you know what I mean. Very Happy

jasperGirl
Sea Post King

grain thrower wrote:

I too am impressed by her eye for period detail, some of those photos just feel like they're from another era.

Ditto! I love that modernized vintage feel. There seems to be a lot of it out there (ex. Amy Winehouse, Duffy, early Gwen Stefani). I like the 30s/40s style best which I think reflects Sherri's stuff (not all of it, but definitey some of it). Chauntelle has some of that vibe, too. Probably Stacy, too, but I can't think of a photo of hers (offhand) that directly proves that. I am new though.

Wink heh

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

jasperGirl wrote:
grain thrower wrote:
Since I don't have a Flickr account, I'll say here how this is absolutely the best photograph, a perfect balance of funny and sad.

"Taken with phone.
(sic) at the ice cream."
http://flickr.com/photos/photostoshare1/2503458171/

They invented the word 'forlorn' to describe Stacy's body language. Sad It must've been sweltering out there in Arizona, and I can feel her conflict between discipline and desire through her pigeon-toed posture. Then there's the mocking sign right above the friggin' ice cream section admonishing you to "EAT WELL"! How cruel is that?!? Twisted Evil

Anyway, I love Sherri's photos and I just had to comment on this one and show people here who might not have seen it.

Who says she's sad? She could very well get ice cream and soy joy bars... Like people who get a big mac with a diet coke... A little bit o health and a little bit o sweet. Although, I wouldn't depict diet coke as health, but you know what I mean. Very Happy

To me it's sad and humorous at the same time, I get a smile and feel a twinge of sympathy each time I look at it. I'm not surprised to learn that Sherri's favorite artist of the past is Norman Rockwell, in my original post I thought about mentioning the Rockwellian composition of this photo but that would've gotten too wordy. With an instant shutter-snapping decision while standing in a Target, she captured all the little details that would go into a carefully crafted painting to tell the same story, which is partly why I find this photo particularly exceptional.

leighish
Vintage Newbie

people always laugh when I get diet coke at fast food joints but really I just can't stand the taste of regular soda anymore. the HFCS makes me gag. i don't even like coke zero that much.

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6183 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

jasperGirl wrote:
grain thrower wrote:

"Taken with phone.
(sic) at the ice cream."http://flickr.com/photos/photostoshare1/2503458171/

Sherri said "Stacy holding a box of SOYJOY bars and staring saddly at the ice cream."
Sometime's I'll stand staring too long at something in the grocery store trying to predict if it's something I'll have a craving for later, it's price vs worth, nutritional value, etc.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
jasperGirl
Sea Post King

leighish wrote:
people always laugh when I get diet coke at fast food joints but really I just can't stand the taste of regular soda anymore. the HFCS makes me gag. i don't even like coke zero that much.

What's HFCS? {scratching head} I'm pretty used to diet sodas myself. Though all soda seems to mess with my head so I try to keep it to a minimum, but every now and then you just need a fizzy beverage. Very Happy

jasperGirl
Sea Post King

Nowhere Man wrote:

Sherri said "Stacy holding a box of SOYJOY bars and staring saddly at the ice cream."
Sometime's I'll stand staring too long at something in the grocery store trying to predict if it's something I'll have a craving for later, it's price vs worth, nutritional value, etc.

Oh, hadn't seen that. (I've only been here a few days... I don't think it's been a week yet.) Isn't that horrible when you decide to be good and then you get home and all you can think about is that craving for what you agonized over in the store? I hate that. Or vice versa... You get it, eat too much of it, and go "Stupid, why did you do that? You didn't even want it that much." Part of the perils of single living - no matter what you buy, you have to eat it all... Rolling Eyes