Laughing City

American Idol, Make it Stop!!!
Yes
60%
 60%  [ 25 ]
No
14%
 14%  [ 6 ]
Let underpromoted artists on indie and major labels compete!
24%
 24%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 41

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:

Adam will be doing Vegas or Broadway.
Stereotypez. Laughing

And Mad_Sam, I agree. I used to hate it with a passion, but the show used to kinda suck with a passion. Since they've added the ability to play instruments and whatnot, I think the show's become much more watchable. I don't make time to watch it or anything, but it's not as bad as everyone makes out to be. Yes, Simon is a dreamcrusher; yes, Seacrest is a closeted chipmunk; yes, Paula is more often than not mixing pain meds and booze; yes, the show might be a little rigged, and yes, winning the whole thing is probably worse than placing second for the contestant, but there are talented people on there and it can be quite entertaining. I just think a lot of people are put off by how mainstream it is. I'm sure they'd all be fans of Eurovision, though. Wink

And is Kris country? Maybe he'll be the male Taylor Swift. Love

Lost Account 14083
Sea Post King

i used to watch it every now and then, mostly the auditions, but this year i watched the whole thing. they had a lot of talent this season *cough*adam lambert*cough*. i dont care what people say, he is amazingly talented and never had a bad performance (until that stupid kara degardio crap song at the end, but kris sucked at it too).

i really dont think that adam will be doing vegas, he might do broadway just because that is where he came from, but i highly doubt he will be doing vegas. he is too talented for that.
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

tahruh wrote:
So I never watch this show passed tryouts, but I've watched the last few weeks and I've wanted Kris to win because he's so0o0o handsome and all of that, but my God, Adam was robbed tonight. I guess it's not great to be gay this particular week!
Agreed! Sad
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:

Adam will be doing Vegas or Broadway.
Stereotypez. Laughing

Laughing Yes, but I will be proven right within the next 2 years. And it is hard to deny he is very theatrical, as this reviewer points out:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/realityrocks/178713/america-gets-it-w rong-kris-allen-wins-idol/

skylitveil wrote:
i really dont think that adam will be doing vegas, he might do broadway just because that is where he came from, but i highly doubt he will be doing vegas. he is too talented for that.

There are a lot of talented people in Vegas, too. They're not all Wayne Newtons. Current or coming up acts include Donny & Marie, Barry Manilow, Cher, Bette Midler, Julio Iglesias, En Vogue, Etta James, Duran Duran, New Kids on the Block, Blues Traveler, The Fray (some of them 1 show, some of them extended engagements)... Although I am not looking forward to a show by any of the above, many people obviously do. Celine Dion and Michael Jackson both had extended engagements there not too long ago.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ you forgot Prince, who opened up a club there with the incentive to partygoers of having him drop by unannounced to play a gig now and then, and earlier in it's opening, near nightly.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

^ Yeah, I was just listing examples, not going for an all inclusive list. But no doubt, Prince has a lot of talent, too. Smile
ks1990
Lost at Forum

I'm kinda pleased Kris won, he's much more easy on the ears than Adam, even if Adam may be vocally stronger.
But at least Adam doesn't have to sing that God-awful song ever again. Gosh, what was Kara on when she wrote it?!:

just when you’ve almost gave [sic] up on your dreams / then take it by the hand and show you that you can"

WTF?!
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ Yeah, I was just listing examples, not going for an all inclusive list. But no doubt, Prince has a lot of talent, too. Smile

I [threw] his name out there, cause with the exception of the Fray (who are sophmore slumping something fierce as far as the music goes) all those acts you listed are pretty much on that Wayne Newton level as far as my taste goes, and yet I got your point...

Plus, to riff on the stereotypes, I'm sure Adam would be a good fill-in nightly act when the Purple One is out of town...

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Last edited by wilsmith on Mon May 25, 2009 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
jdstories
Vintage Newbie

For me, it falls under the "Mindless Drivel" category. The same stuff my vegetable of a mother-in-law watches day in and out. I was forced to watch about half an episode this season during some sort of collaborative group effort where the contestants were split into teams. Even my mother-in-law had to turn off the show due to the over-the-top drama. If she had to tune out, you know it was horrible. She doesn't watch anything challenging or informative in the least, unless you want to keep up with the Kardashians or what the designers are doing this season. PROJECTILE BARF!

As far as letting unknown indie rockers participate. That makes no sense. The crowd they're playing to is not usually the type who watches or votes on Idol. Not to mention that Simon would shoot them down as not what the seething masses are paying him to record and package for their consumption.

JD

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Because Adam Lambert really appeals to the masses...Simon favored him to win. His "individuality/overt (homo)sexuality" definitely cost him the "crown," though, but he made it to the end nonetheless.

And talk about projectile vomiting...kinda what your over-the-top, pretentious thoughts on the subject made me feel like doing. Wink Sometimes people like to just be entertained, and not have to have some type of epiphany associated with every interest. I suppose everyone has and is entitled to their own ideas on what things about popular (or counter) culture suck, though. I know I'd much rather hangout/form discussions with people that watch American Idol, than people whose plans involve "coffee," as if it's some kind of activity. My skin crawls every time people mention it. I'm drinking a throwback Pepsi Cola in case anyone wants to bond, though. Wink

Also, I'm not an Idol fan, but to be honest, the more I find out about Adam and Kris, the more pissed I am that I wrote off the show.

As for Vegas: it's for has-beens. Adam has barely started his career and I definitely see him sticking. He's incredibly talented, good-looking and has a great, born-to-be-famous personality. He does have a theater background, but I see him focusing on his own music (and incorporating his love for theatrics into it) for the time being.

I'm actually really surprised more people here aren't nuts for Kris. He's very easy on the eyes, ridiculously nice, southern, 23 AND married, has a self-produced album with some nice songs on it, and is totally hardcore Christian. Am I missing something, or am I just losing my stereotyping touch? Razz

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Well, you could probably make it go *poof*-

there is this little button on the bottom right hand corner of your set- if you look closely, it probably says something like "off".

Worth at try.

I don't own a TV- the only time I realize that such idiocy exists is when you guys tell me about it. Its nice.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ In my case I did make the TV show go *poof* but the show is just so popular that it's hard to be social and not have it come up now and then in mixed company, at least when it's early on, near the end, or controversial.

I started the thread because, even though pop music is assembly-line stuff these days, it was easier to avoid when the BSB and N'Sync went on the down swing. Celine Dion had moved to Vegas, Whitney and Mariah were slumming. The coast seemed clear, and then... *poof* the Nashville-like beast of American Idol laid siege to tvs, arenas, and the hearts and minds of the masses.

Is their product soooo gooood that it's worth 100 million votes? They are free, but the time and energy taken to cast that many votes (even if half were generated by autodialers) has some value.

Last edited by wilsmith on Mon May 25, 2009 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Yeah, I haven't watched it in ages, and I only watched an episode or two out of boredom. ha ha. I guess it's out of sight, out of mind? However, I do hear this and that about all the contestants, so I guess I haven't entirely avoided it.

But yeah, I don't think this helps avoid assembly line music at all. It reduces actual talent and skill to a singing contest. Or something.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lookingXglass
Golly, Poster

wilsmith wrote:
I have never liked it, never will. It's a freaking ratings workhorse though. Drat! Evil or Very Mad

"Make awkward sexual advances, not war!"--saw that on a teeshirt, I'm buying!

"I don't wanna touch you and feel so helpless; I don't wanna smell you and lose my senses" Rufus Wainwright, Foolish Love
Joined: 28 Dec 2007 | Posts: 807 | Location: Wouldn't you like to know?